• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Freeview HD box available Feb 2010

Philip7

Standard Member
Just spotted in the new Argos catalogue a Humax HD-FOX T2 freeview High Def Box. ( page 390, available from Feb 2010 ).:thumbsup:

mike7

Distinguished Member
As usual Argos has no idea of the technical significance of what they are selling. I like the 'special offer' of a SCART lead with the Bush box. Not much good for watching HD channels !!! Why would anyone buying a HD product have any interest in a SCART connection ?

Last edited:

mike7

Distinguished Member
They might want to record the output of the box, which they certainly couldn't do via a HDMI lead.

Agreed, but this is a secondary consideration for anyone buying a box like this which costs about 5+ times more than the average Freeview box. You are supposing that both the HMDI and SCART outputs will operate at the same time. Not always a forgone conclusion. An offer on a HDMI lead (for the Bush) would be more pertinant.

My point was that there is no indication what the products do, where they will or will not operate. It is simply a 'cut and paste' job from an ordinary Freeview box description, with a passing reference to 'upscaling'. There should at least be some reference to it's compatability with current SD services. There has been a lot of ill-informed scaremongering in the popular press about this.

Last edited:

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
damn i was gonna post this

nice to see they gave it it's own section but there is no mention in there about what you will get from it. Fails to mention bbc hd/itv hd and doesn't really inform like it really could do and will need to do to win people over at that price point

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Am I correct in assuming that Freeview HD is only available after a region's analogue switch off?

Normally yes but special arrangements can be made (HD service is available from Winter Hill plus relays (post dso) but is also available now from Crystal Palace and will be available in the Birmingham area from a temporary location (The ITV transmitter at Lichfield) in march this year and in some other major cities

Corrado

Established Member
Brilliant! Can't wait to get my hands on one of these. I take it we can use our existing aeriels?

Shame there is no receiver yet that is also a PVR!

mike7

Distinguished Member
Argos is just a retailer ;)

More info here: Freeview - Home / Services / Freeview HD

How good is any retailer who has no idea what they are selling !! I just wouldn't go there.....

I have a friend who bought a TV from Ar*** that was faulty. On another occasion we were sold a DVD player which we were told would only work with UK DVDs. Fine, but when we tried to use it it had clearly been ineffectually hacked and had locked-up so it would not play anything ! To be fair both items were refunded but I would never buy electronic goods from them again. Trying to explain the defects was like trying to teach a gibbon to ride a bicycle !!

Last edited:

MarkE19

Brilliant! Can't wait to get my hands on one of these. I take it we can use our existing aeriels?
As long as you are currently receiving a good Freeview signal then your current aerial should (in most cases) be up to receiving HD Freeview.
There may however be a few locations where the HD channels are transmitted on a different group to the SD channels and therefore a group specific aerial may need to be replaced with a wideband aerial.

Mark.

R

rbrt

so if hd will be on freeview, i take it the existing hd ready freeview tvs wont be able to cope with it then if theres a need for a new generation of stb, or are these just an evolution of existing stbs for non dtv tellies.

only ask as being a sky customer not felt need for a stb though now testing one due to second sky box failing as a cheap fix. also trying to leave changing tv to dtv/hd type as long as can to maximise bargain, yep love bigger screen but of attitude not broken doesnt need fixing. obviously DSO will make it more relevant for me next year...

runas

Established Member
'HD Ready' means that the set has a HDCP compliant HDMI input, and can display at least 720 lines of not less than 1024 horizontal samples, - that's it! So one of these sets is 'ready' to display an HD digital stream from any compliant external source, e.g. Blu-ray, (HD-DVD for those into obsolescence), HD gaming platforms, (PS3, newer X-Box), Media Streamers, certain HD camcorders and of course external TV Receivers (so called 'set-top boxes').

To be called a 'TV' the set must have a tuner, but there's nothing in the spec that says it needs to be digital, let alone HD, so 'HD Ready' has nothing to do with the reception of HD broadcasts. Just look at the list on this web page:

High Definition TV Displays | Search Results

Whereas the manufacturers of all devices that can receive and decode HD broadcasts (Terrestrial/satellite or cable) are entitled to affix an 'HD TV' logo, which I assume will start appearing on new sets when they are released in a few months. The logo already appears on set-top boxes that have this capability.
here are the rules for that logo:

http://www.digitaleurope.org/web/news/telecharger.php?iddoc=585

Remember, all set-top boxes are effectively the same, (Sky HD, Freesat HD and Freeview HD) as far as an HD Ready set is concerned. So the only con is where dealers are implying that the set is 'HD TV' when it is only 'HD Ready' and buyers haven't asked the right question,

runas

mike7

Distinguished Member
so if hd will be on freeview, i take it the existing hd ready freeview tvs wont be able to cope with it then if theres a need for a new generation of stb, or are these just an evolution of existing stbs for non dtv tellies.

only ask as being a sky customer not felt need for a stb though now testing one due to second sky box failing as a cheap fix. also trying to leave changing tv to dtv/hd type as long as can to maximise bargain, yep love bigger screen but of attitude not broken doesnt need fixing. obviously DSO will make it more relevant for me next year...

HD Ready specified TVs, as described above, will be able to receive HD Freeview, but you will need to buy a new FreeviewHD set top box. The Freeview tuner in the TV will continue to work as the two systems are compatible. Gradually new TVs will appear with FreeviewHD built in. The existing Freeview system will not be redundant. it will continue to work.

R

rbrt

thanks supported by understanding. so maybe we see how long this lg crt lingers on so that by time replace the leds will have come down and maybe have freeviewhd too, and if not then the current crop will be further reduced..heres hoping.

Last edited by a moderator:

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
If the Title of this thread is correct as is indicated in the links then freeview HD becomes a reality for those in the Winter Hill and Crystal Palace transmitter areas -TOMORROW!:thumbsup::D

Alex5

Established Member
They might want to record the output of the box, which they certainly couldn't do via a HDMI lead.
See no reason for which HD signal couldn't be recorded on, for eample, a Bluray recorder, provided it's not locked by HDCP what shouldn't be the case with FREEview.

Personally I'm not very excited with these Argos boxes as I own a Sony KDL40W5500 tv which boasts a DVB/T2 tuner.
Although it's compatibility with Freeview HD hasn't been oficially confirmed I know this tv picks HD signal in other countries where it's already available.
This applies probably also to other recent, higher end tv's.

I'm more excited if Freeview HD will be available in my area as it seems initially it's going to be broadcast via low-power temporary transmitters only. I may need a more powerful aerial, as the one on the roof of my house looks very old (works flawlessly with freeview though)

Last edited:

YellowSphere

Prominent Member
Your TV does not have a DVB-T2 tuner. No television is yet on the market which does.

Also, you reasoning regarding a Blu-Ray Recorder is flawed as first of all Freeview almost certainly will have HDCP (the free refers purely to a lack of subscription, it has absolutely no implications for recording limitations, and it's the HD content providers that are more worried about this than the BBC are of their own programmes) and secondly, Blu-Ray recorders do not have HDMI inputs for recording (they record in SD from SCART inputs, or HD from their built in tuners)

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Personally I'm not very excited with these Argos boxes as I own a Sony KDL40W5500 tv which boasts a DVB/T2 tuner.
Although it's compatibility with Freeview HD hasn't been oficially confirmed I know this tv picks HD signal in other countries where it's already available.
This applies probably also to other recent, higher end tv's.

The tuner in your TV is DVB-T H264 (mpeg4) HD capable as used in some countries. It's won't and never will work with DVB-T2 HD transmissions.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom