• Apologies for the inconvenience, but AVForums will be offline from 6am Thursday 21st January 2021 for a few hours while we perform a major update to our core software. See what changes are coming.

Freeview-HD and Freesat HD together?

PaddyBaptiste

Standard Member
Hi all,

My tv does both freeview HD and Freesat HD, my current roof aerial seems to have a current running through it and shoots sparks out! so I want to replace this before plugging it in.

My main question is If I get the Freesat HD dish, will/can this also be used for the freeview signal as well?
My TV is a a Panasonic TX-L37DT30B. It seems to only have one input for a coaxial input, Im assuming as the boxes are built into this TV that it only need the correct wire plugging in?

Cheers

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
Freesat points up into the sky looking for a satellite in Space, whilst Freeview uses an aerial pointing off to the horizon looking for a transmitter on the ground, so no the dish will not pick up Freeview.
Sparks coming from your aerial cable sounds bad. Do you have a aerial amplifier fitted?
Where is the power supply for this?

PaddyBaptiste

Standard Member
Thanks for clearing that up, (I did think it was a silly question...)
There is no amplifier, I think the Aerial to my room comes from a simple spliter. It hasnt been used for a long time as I usually use sky, I dont want to pay for sky HD in the spare room, as I only really watch Dave (I know this isnt availible on Freesat) I so I may just get a dedicated wire from the roof to this room.

logiciel

It seems to only have one input for a coaxial input, Im assuming as the boxes are built into this TV that it only need the correct wire plugging in?
It has a push-in co-ax socket for Freeview terrestrial TV from the aerial, and a screw-in co-ax f-socket for Freesat satellite TV from a dish.
So, to use the full capabilities of the TV, you need to get the aerial fixed, and get the dish supplied and fixed, and then to have a cable running from each of them to the appropriate socket.

PaddyBaptiste

Standard Member
Thanks guys,

The roof aerial has been there for about 30 years, so new wires will be fitted anyway, I will get both systems setup and the wires all replaced.

Cheers

markbloke

Novice Member
The volts on your aerial cable are possibly from the sky-box if it's still coupled up. There is often a 5V supply for the magic-eye IR controller sent up the second aerial output on the back. This can be turned off from the not-so-secret installer menu.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom