Freeview HD 5.1 audio on Panasonic TX-P50G20

ZakD

Standard Member
Hello everyone,

I've had my TX-P50G20 for about 2yrs now. What a fantastic TV. Without needing to add to the already glowing reviews, I can say it's one of the best buys I've made, and I still continue to marvel at the fabulous picture.

Now, in my region here in Norfolk, they've finally switched over to Freeview HD, which means I can now receive BBC HD, ITV HD, C4 HD channels using the built-in Freeview HD receiver. Picture is indeed great, but the audio is strangely poor on the 4 HD channels.

Upon checking my Amp (Denon 2311), it is not receiving 5.1 signal, only the L & R (2.0). I've gone through all the settings in my Amp and TV, and simply can't get 5.1 it to work. I've tried switching between ARC and SPDIF digital outputs too, but again no difference.

The TV channel guide information does not register that the programs are broadcasting in 5.1 - since the manual says "MultiChannel" should be displayed - but it isn't.

Now, upon searching this forum, I've found a post which say the TV is not able to decode Freeview HD Multi-Channel audio. If that's correct, that's surely unbelievable! If that's correct I'm going to need to get a new TV. Surely if a TV is sold as High Definition, that includes Audio and Video (ok, I'm being rather hopeful here I know!).

http://www.avforums.com/forums/freeview/1253508-freeview-hd-5-1-dolby-digital-surround-18.html

Is my TV flawed? Have I really bought a Panasonic HD TV with built-in Freeview HD, which does not allow me to use the Freeview HD channels because it can't decode Multi-Channel 5.1 surround? Must I stick to watching the SD channels because the audio is better?

Help! :mad::(

JayCee

Distinguished Member
ZakD said:
If that's correct I'm going to need to get a new TV. Surely if a TV is sold as High Definition, that includes Audio and Video (ok, I'm being rather hopeful here I know!).

http://www.avforums.com/forums/freeview/1253508-freeview-hd-5-1-dolby-digital-surround-18.html

Is my TV flawed? Have I really bought a Panasonic HD TV with built-in Freeview HD, which does not allow me to use the Freeview HD channels because it can't decode Multi-Channel 5.1 surround? Must I stick to watching the SD channels because the audio is better?
You can always buy a FreeviewHD set-top box and connect by optical or SPDIF to your surr sound amp.

richard321uk

Standard Member
Hi,
I also have the same televison with the same issue, the strange thing is if you connect one for the freeview HD channels using the built in freesat HD decoder it will produce a 5.1 decoded signal.
Unless the decoding is different using freesat then it may be the local regional broadcast which have the problem. I have a freeview HD settop box (Sony SVRHDT500B) which I use for the spare telly in the bedroom. I'll try that in the next week and let you know.
Richard

ZakD

Standard Member
You can always buy a FreeviewHD set-top box and connect by optical or SPDIF to your surr sound amp.
Thanks JayCee. Good idea, but I've got a USB HDD recorder plugged into my TV too, so I'd need to change my recording solution also, then I'd have another remote ... and the TV *is* meant to decode 5.1 (well, it alludes to it in the manual). I'm hoping there's a fix. I may contact Panasonic. I suppose my other solution is get a satellite dish, and use Freesat tuner instead

ZakD

Standard Member
Hi,
I also have the same televison with the same issue, the strange thing is if you connect one for the freeview HD channels using the built in freesat HD decoder it will produce a 5.1 decoded signal.
Unless the decoding is different using freesat then it may be the local regional broadcast which have the problem. I have a freeview HD settop box (Sony SVRHDT500B) which I use for the spare telly in the bedroom. I'll try that in the next week and let you know.
Richard
Yep, exactly as it says in the other thread - Freesat Decoder works for 5.1, Freeview doesn't :mad:

Sounds like a defect - just wondering if Panasonic could/would/have issue a firmware fix or something

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom