Freeview Harddisk recorder & sky

C

Clifford

I want Sky +, but object to paying the subscription. Is it possible if were to buy a Freeview harddisk recorder that I can record sky on to it?

Only the ones that have a DVD recorder as well as Hard Disk. Note none of them have more than one digital tuner.

Also see sticky above.

Richard

:confused: :confused: If you already have sky, and pay for movies and/or sports for example, then Sky+ is the best device to go for and there is no 'additional' subscription. The boxes are no more than £99. Freeview offers a few 'free' Sky channels, Sky News etc. But to record from a subscribed sky 'regular' box onto a Freeview harddrive is generally not possible. The recording happens internally and not via a box connected from outside.

You said you objected to paying the subscription... why? Sky and Sky+ offer the best service, far better than freeview, more choice, better recording device, better user interface, more features and for £99... Its pretty good value. Buy a twin tuner freeview box for say £199 - with less channels, recording features and user friendliness - you could put that £100 difference to paying for a Sky premium package for year.

I find it bizarre that people want the benefits of Sky, when it clearly has benefits over other broadcasting mediums, but then refuse to pay for it?? It seems clear to me that the very reason it IS better, is that some of that subscription money goes into improving the service/hardware/programming etc. If you don't want to pay for it you have Freeview recording boxes to purchase. Sorry to rant, I just find it so odd :confused:

it might be because although people realise that Sky DO provide a good service the thought of paying 600quid a year puts them off somewhat :)
I've subscribed to the full Sky+ package for a couple of years now with multiroom and have just cancelled in favour of a Humax. the initial 170quid outlay will save me about 450 over the year without any loss of service except for some channels, which to be honest, I've not been watching that much anyway. of course, ymmv

And if you want the latest films (before sky) and the popular series (after sky) then a DVD unlimited rental is far cheaper and more flexible. Together with a PVR for good PQ, pausing live TV etc. you have the equal of sky, IMO, for a lot less (BTW I'm not a sports fan which is the only think that doesn't cover).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom