Freeview - Future?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by dubbs, Nov 18, 2004.

1. dubbs

dubbs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Folks,
    I'm thinking of ditchin' Sky as I'm moving and have cancelled anyway (see previous thread regarding Sky+!! :) )

Questions for those of you that know:

1. What is the future of Freeview (pls note not free-to-view!) as a digital service. Is it there for the conceivable future (10-15years) in your opinion?

2. What is a decent box to buy? I want GOOD quality to go through my Plasma (HDTV compatible but what use is THAT!!!) preferrably with RGB out (some guy was telling me S-video was better than RGB the other day.... I digress)

3. I don't want to pay too much for this box but it needs to be able to record one channel whilst I watch another.

4. Any other tips on buying? DO I need to watch out for certain "must have" features? What about sound (5.1) etc.,

It's a new field to me after just having Sky through a cr4ppy Thomson decoder... I want to get it right first time and not spend too much on something and waste money.

Any help is much appreciated!

2. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    1. It's here to stay for a while, especially with analogue switch-off in the next decade.

2. I have a Netgem, it's a great little box and has many other features too, like USB accessories and internet connection (via LAN, WLAN or dial-up). It can play MPEG's and MP3's stored on an attached device (HD or USB device) or on the home network. It's great. You can get a cheap one on e-Bay (about £40 - £50), Top-Up TV CAM disabled though or spend a bit more and get one that can take a CAM.

3. There are some with twin tuners around, I know Pace do one. I'm sure others here can recommend some.

4. You won't get 5.1 on Freeview at the moment, just Nicam stereo.

3. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Pace Twin is pretty good

The sound is MPEG2 stereo

There is some DPL encoding

4. dubbs

dubbs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks so far for the help guys.... anymore for any more????

5. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    According to the BBC article I was reading yesterday the number of viewers will surpass Sky by the end of the year. Freeview is here to stay