Freeview, Freesat, TV Plus?

davisybw

Novice Member
Hi, this is my 1st time to post. Is built-in freeview/freesat concerned when choosing a tv, and I find Samsung only equipped with 'TV plus'. Is that the same thing for catcher.

mikej

Your question isn't very clear but all Samsung's UK TVs will have Freeview tuners. They should also have access to the associated catch-up apps like iPlayer (etc), but it would be advisable to check the specifications of the TV you are interested in to make sure the apps you require are available.

Here is some information about Samsung's TV Plus.

mike7

Distinguished Member
Your question isn't very clear but all Samsung's UK TVs will have Freeview tuners. They should also have access to the associated catch-up apps like iPlayer (etc), but it would be advisable to check the specifications of the TV you are interested in to make sure the apps you require are available.

Here is some information about Samsung's TV Plus.
Not all TVs have provision for receiving Satellite signals usually associated with Freesat.

davisybw

Novice Member
Thanks your advice.
I moved to new house and found a dish inatalled by previous tenant, but no aerial socket. So when I look for new TV, I can forget the freeview function as it requires aerial connection?

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Go over to the correct forum to read up about the broadcast systems. Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders

Freeview is terrestrial UHF TV via an aerial. Latest version is Freeview Play that Samsung have chosen to not (pay) to be certified to, but will receive signals fine live. Samsung therefore have their own catchup smart epg system.

Freesat is via a satellite dish, basically a proprietary EPG and only supported on a very few TV brands. Other TVs have free to air satellite tuners that are not very user friendly.

Possible you have a $ky Q LNB on the end of that dish arm - so will need to either subscribe or buy the latest freesat 4k boxes or change the LNB.

Installing a UHF TV aerial should be part of a Landlord's obligation. Never hurts to ask, as permission will be needed to install one anyway and maybe to alter the satellite install...

Play with sets in the flesh when comparing the options. Places like Richer Sounds and John Lewis will be more likely to have aerials and dish feeds to demonstrate than some other big retailers.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom