1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeview format

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by jameson_uk, Jan 24, 2005.

1. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    I am interested in recording freeview onto harddisk. I can not however find a digital card with hardware encoding.

This has lead me to think that perhaps no encoding is needed. Am I right in thinking that DVB-T is transmitted in MPEG2 anyway so once the card decodes the right channel, it can be a straight digital feed rather than the standard terestrial method of taking an analog signal and digitising it into MPEG2 to be able to save it ??

Has anyone got any experience of a DVB-T cards on an older processor (I have an Athalon 2800) for time-shifting live tv and recording programs ?

2. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I think you are correct, freeview is standard definition mpeg2 wrapped in a transport stream, which I unserstand gives a little it more error correction.

I've no experience of pc based freeview cards, but I believe they should write out the transport stream as .ts files.

I've read the the Microsoft Media Centers wrap these in a proprietary format to prevent burning to DVD-R, but others don't.

Anyone with experience of this?
    cheers,
    Rob.

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    Nebula digiTV just dumps the transport stream to the HD same quality as broadcast and uses hardly any cpu ( think its less than 10% on my P4 3.2 but I used to run with a 1.4 P3 for a bit with no problems either. Basically I can record in the background using the nebula and run Dscaler and watch an alternative channel on a digibox or any other source for that matter with no problems. Playing back using the digiTV software (or pretty much anyother media player) uses more overhead than recording.

On the P4 3.2 I can record and at the same time play something ( dvd or media or even hidef) with Theatertek and use ffdshow rescaling to 1920x1080 with some sharpening and still not get any dropped frames.

The digiTV software that comes with the nebula now has the option of recording direct to a dvd mpg2 format. Not only does this have the advantage of being easily burned to dvd without conversion it alos enables the files to be played back in just about any media player (including Theatertek).

The digiTV software is not that bad at playback either ( decent pulldown generation for smoother non-50Hz playback and a sensible selection of deinterlacing methods).

Other advantages of the nebula are , comes with a remote that actually works , timer can be set remotely over the net, channels can be streamed over a network to other machines that don't need an additional nebula card. Has an additional analogue capture stage ( which is ok nothing special to be honest , don't use it myself)