1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeview For Elderly Parents

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Rasczak, May 4, 2003.

1. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Hi,

I am thinking of purchasing my elderly parents a freeview set-top box. Can anyone suggest a model that would be suitable (i.e user friendly, a non-fiddly remote, reliable)? I've checked the postcode checker and it says they can receive Freeview where they live although they may need a new ariel. That's no problem but am a right to assume I can purchase a set-top box, plug it in and, if I don't get a picture, then call in an engineer or does this need to be 'installed' like Sky? How much should I look to be paying for a new ariel?

Cheers

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I would say that the EPG is the big hurdle and as there is no standard format its quite box dependant. You are right about the install ation no more difficult than setting up a VCR, I have an 80+ yr old neighbour who uses the Pace DTVA if that is of any help. I have heard that £40-£65 is a normal upgrade fee, worth getting the downlead replaced with Sat standard Coax, for the pence a meter it will cost its worth it in the long run.

3. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You just plug the aerial (not ariel) cable into your Freeview box.
    A new aerial can cost from about £10 upwards, dependent on what you need. Satcure sells quite a range of aerials. See their price list.
    For an aerial fitter to install an aerial, it will cost from about £25 plus parts (cable, aerial, clips etc.) As hornydragon correctly says, you should use the proper double-shielded cable - so make sure that's what's fitted with the new aerial. It should have copper foil under the copper braid. Picture here so you can see what I mean.

4. PhilipVass

PhilipVass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Thanks for the replies guys. Bit of a waste of time now though as I raised the subject with my parents and they said they didn't want it under any circumstances as they already have enough channels!!! :rolleyes:

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    LOL know what you mean, probably better to wait and get them an IDTV when they drop and we get closer to analogue switch off in 3-4 years then they can have 1-5 and never know the others exist!

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What you need to do is just buy it for them and go round and set it up. They'll love it - that's just parents being parents ;)