1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FreeView Firewire out to DVD Recorder ILink In..

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by JoseD, Jul 12, 2005.

1. JoseD

JoseD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi. Can someone confirm if that's possible at all? I know the Firewire in on a Panasonic is supposed to work ok with a camcorder but what about with a satellite receiver with Firewire output. This would of course allow digital only recording with no signal degradation... Yeah, I know about the upcoming recorders with FreeView tunner...
    Any thoughts appreciated :)

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I don't think so. Firstly I've never seen a receiver with Firewire output. Secondly, on the DVD recorders, this Firewire connection is for DV. Satellite or Freeview boxes don't use DV.

Mark

3. JoseD

JoseD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well, just do a search on google and you'll find there' a whole buch of cable boxes and tunners in the US with firewire output. I'm not in the US, but if I'm to invest into a decent DVD recorder I'd like it to be a bit future proof or something...

4. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    JoseD,

Thanks - I wasn't aware of this. I've not seen this in the UK. It seems in the US, for cable boxes at least, the cable companies are required to provide Firewire out on demand!
    http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/fcc-requires-firewire-on-all-cable-boxes-015708.php

But even if this happened here, I still don't think it would work with a DVD/HDD recorder. It would work with a PC, providing you have an application which can handle the particular video format (in the US it is HD TV over mpeg2). But the DVD/HDD recorders are expecting DV in on those Firewire ports, so I don't think it would be able to handle the streams coming from a set top box (which is mpeg2). Of course it could be possible to design a DVD/HDD box which could accept the signal from one of these boxes and convert it, but I don't believe this exists today.

Mark

5. MagicRabbit

MagicRabbit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the US, many CableTV boxes have firewire outputs. In the UK, I don't think there are any. So, if you were in the US, and using the NTSC version of the camera, you probably could record TV via the iLink port that way.

You can also get "Analogue to Firewire" converters that will take a standard composite signal and spit it out as DV, but they are expensive and hard to get hold of outside the US. http://www.firewire-1394.com/pyro-av-link-basic.htm - you could however, hook one of these up to your TV SCART and capture TV that way (assuming your TV can output the tuner signal via an AV - my Sony LCD does).

6. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,710
    I agree with redsox_mark's view that is it unlikely to be possible.

It is even less likely because Panasonic are extremely restrictive about what can be done with the DV input. [ A PC will not be recognised. ]

Plus DVDR's cannot handle DV directly. It has to be further degraded to MPEG2.

Not even the whole of their own range of camcorders will work with it.

Underpinning the whole question is the false assumption that a digital connection is always better. It isn't.
    Such a connection is less susceptible to interference - but that is about all, and such problems are not common.
    Dealing with digital almost always means compression and loss. So what you gain in one way , you lose in others.

The important point is they are simply different. Digital is not automatically 'better'.

7. foneman

foneman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    'true digital'connection is better, yes, BUT that depends on how it is handled!! - some may say that MP3 is awful quality, but if you increase the sample rate 10 or 20 fold, then you will get HIFI quality!!

firewire(1394/ilink) is similar to USB - it is a software based 'serial bus interface standard' and AFAIK only computers implement it fully - it has been drastically 'stripped down' for use by DVDRs, etc...

Added to the fact that most DVDRs have low resources, due to cost cutting, DV is only just possible...

It is DVDs that use MPEG2, so of course DV has to be converted ! AFAIK...

If you want to use PROPER DV, you will have to pay a lot of money for *professional* kit...

So the important point about 'digital is better' is that it needs *massive bandwidth* that is provided only by sattelite(trouble is, their bandwidth is suffering, due to the demand for HD - have you seen the bad quality of some SD channels??) or cable(and even that is suffering, one cable can only take so much...)

I think the basic answer is that the companies *dont* want you to use it to copy stuff!!