1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeview EPG Vs 4TV EPG

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Chris_F, Dec 30, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Chris_F

Chris_F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand that there are two types of EPG: Freeview and 4TV. I believe that the Freeview guide is constantly updated and the 4TV guide is updated at 3 am each night.

Now, I guess the Freeview guide is better as it is ‘more up to date’, but does 4TV have any advantage over Freeview, and does either system provide a ‘PDC’ type function similar to Video Plus?

Finally, does anyone know if manufacturers of the boxes that support 4TV have plans to migrate to the Freeview EPG i.e. Thomson etc?

Thanks

2. Plugman

Plugman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have experienced both and IMO the 4TV one is better as its always on hand (the listings are stored on my hard drive Fusion PVR) even if some of it is out of date. One annoying thing with the freeview one is that it constantly downloads and can cause gaps (it did when I had a Humax PVR) or the display is there one minute and gone the next but that may be the fault of the PVR software.

In theory though the freeview one should be better as they should be able to update it at a drop of a hat.

As far as I am aware Thomson and Fusion are not going to use the Freeview EPG at least on their PVR's , indeed at present Thomson have recently updated their software to recognise 14 day listings.

Neither system uses PDC type listings and as far as I know has no plans to do so in the future.

Happy New Year.

3. Chris_F

Chris_F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, thanks for that.

After reading this response I have a couple more questions:

1. Will the Freeview guide support 14 day listings in the future?

2. I understand there is not a PDC type function, but say a programme is rescheduled after the timer have been set and the EPG has been updated, would either system reconfigure the timer?

Thanks again.