Freeview DVD recorder with HDMI INPUT advice

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by andy tg, Jan 7, 2012.

1. andy tg

andy tg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i am looking to buy a Freeview DVD recorder with a HDMI INPUT so i can connect my laptop to the 'recorder' is there such a product and if so can you tell me what make it is.

or alternately can i somehow convert the hdmi signal to a scart connection or phono (think thats what its called, red white and yellow connectors)

Thank you..

2. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    you wont find any recorder with hdmi inputs , as the idea is to have an hdmi output connected to a passive device like a tv ( one that cannot record )

ie:- its designed so that you cannot copy hd at all

I would say all recorders have a scart output , and many have phono outputs too , as well as scart and/or phono inputs for recording from

so scart and phono is not normally an issue in either direction , whereas hdmi is output only

3. TheG

TheG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    We use Matrox MX02 units to record via HDMI - these are quite expensive and need a decent spec computer with equally expensive software to run them.

BlackMagic Design's Decklink Intensity does a similar job.

Lindy make a converter box for around £150.00 - scales down to give S-Video and audio. I'd guess there will be some cheaper units on EBay etc.

If you are intending using Blu-ray disc as the delivery format then you also have to watch the resolution, scan type and sync rates you're outputting at. Some laptops will only do 60Hz progressive so for Blu-ray this restricts you to 720P.

Screen recording software may be a better option depending on what you need to do. We use Camtasia but there are quite a few other apps around.

Tell us what you're trying to achieve - there could be other options too.

4. andy tg

andy tg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ok thanks any way

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  5. TheG

TheG
    Standard Member