1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeview / DVD / Plasma Setup

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by brushd, Oct 17, 2004.

1. brushd

brushd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wondered if anyone could help someone new to all this..

I have recently purchased a 42 second hand Sony plasma. The setup is as follows,

Sony Plasma - No Scart / No Speakers
    This is connected to an RGB to VGA converter.
    My Philips set top box is set to RGB Output and connects vis scart to the converter.
    I have then installed a temporary amp from my sound system to get some sound. Sound inout comes from converter to Amp.
    I have a good picture and sound is fine.

I wanted to connect my DVD player to this setup and tried to daisy chain from set top box to DVD but this would not pick it up. I have checked that the DVD was set to RGB but still will not work. If I plug Scart from DVD into converter directly it works OK. I am being told that some set top boxes to not allow RGb to pass through. Can anyone confirm or tell me what boxes will or do i have to buy one of the scart switches..

Final problem is I have bought a DVD / Surround sound system and my plan was to use this for playing DVD's etc and link it to my Freeview box and have the sound for both systems from the surround sound unit.
    I have tried connecting everything up but the Toshiba surround sound system does not have a Scart connection and I have tried to connect the sound from the Freeview box to the Surround sound system but it is not clear what connection to use. Question is can I take a sound input and feed it into one of these boxes. ?
    My connections on the Toshiba box are as follows. I have worked out that I can use the component connection for the plasma screen but how to I link up the sound without having and extra amp?

Componet Video Out - Y, PB, Pr
    Video 2 IN - Red , White and Yellow
    Video 1 OUT - Red , White and Yellow
    Video 1 IN - Red , White and Yellow
    S-Video Out
    Monitor Out (Yellow)

It also has Video selector switches S-Video or Component and another switch that you can set to Auto.

Hope this makes sense..

David

2. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Moving to plasma forum.

3. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Your thread is a little confusing but here goes. It's quite possible that the aux input on your freeview box won't accept RGB. However (unless it's a DVD recorder) if you are buying a new DVD/Surrond Sound System surely it no longer needs to be connected via the Freeview box? If you still want to connect it to the convertor just buy one of these as they aren't any more expensive than a new freeview box and will maintain the picture:

JS Labs Master Scart Controller

Instead you will connect your new DVD/AV System directly to the plasma using the component output on the surround amp. Video 1 & 2 inputs: The red and white plugs are for left and right audio whilst the yellow plug is for the picture. The picture is a composite picture which is the worst quality so don't try and run the picture of the freeview box through this amp. To get sound into the amp from freeviw just plug a pair of phono leads from the VGA Convertor into the amp and switch to that input (Video 1 or 2).

So setup as follws:

DVD ---> Plasma. Use component input (red, green and blue plugs)
    Freeview --> VGA Converter. Then for Picture VGA lead into Plasma. For Audio Phono Interconnect into Red & White plugs of Video 1.

Only other question is what do you use to record things? If you have a VCR this can't be connected to either the VGA Convertor or via component so depending on the other connections on your plasma you would have to use composite.

Hope this helps.

4. brushd

brushd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tony,

Thanks for you advice.

I agree that my new DVD / Surround system does not need to connect to my Freeview box. That connection seems to work OK. If I purchased a Scart Controller I am not sure how i could connect the Surround Sound System as it does not have a scart output. So I am assuming I will need to connect this to the screen directly via component connection. My screen has two vga connections that support RGB / YUV. Is there a cable that I can purchase that has phono one end and a VGA connector the other.

I am still unable to get the sound input from the Vga / RGb convertor into my DVD Surround Sound system whereas it works ok with my amp. Do I have to use the digital / optical connector. Can you purchase phono to optical converters?

In terms of recording I don't bother. When we purchased a DVD player a few years ago we gave up on the Video recorder. If we go down the recording route again I plan to buy one of the Pace boxes (Freeview with Hard Disk)