Freeview disappeared overnight!

olzki

Standard Member
Reaction score
Staying at my parent's house for Christmas.
They've got freeview and sky. There's a tv with freeview in the room I'm sleeping in. Went to bed with freeview working fine, woke up this morning, no freeview whatsoever. Not on the tv in my room, and not on the tv in the main lounge. Nothing has changed over night. Earlier today I did change some of the connections on their main tv, as Dad has a freeview recorder that wasn't picking up Sky, but freeview had gone before I did that.
I have seen a post on here about HDMI cables interfering with Freeview signal, and there is an HDMI cable running from their freeview box to the main tv, but that was there before the signal went, and the tv in the room I'm in doesn't have HDMI, and the freeview has gone on that.
How could the Freeview have disappeared overnight? There arial is still on the roof, and nothing else appears to have changed (apart from mum getting some wireless headphones; could they be affecting freeview?!?). Please help - can anyone figure out where Freeview has gone?

Transmitter fault?
Post name of transmitter or post code

They're in CB6 (ely, cambs) - did have a look on the bbc site but it said there were no faults - it was my first thought as can't figure out what could have changed here overnight that would stop both tv's getting freeview

As you say, there are no problems recorded

All I can suggest is that you reverse the connection changes you have made

As you say, there are no problems recorded

All I can suggest is that you reverse the connection changes you have made

Happy to do that, but all the changes I made were to do with the connections on the tv setup in their front room. Still don't understand how changes on a tv/hd box/sky box in the front room would affect a separate tv in a different room with its own freeview tuner built into it.

Okay so just done a load of tinkering and here's what i've found out.

Turned everything off at the wall apart from the tv (with built in freeview). Plugged arial straight from the wall into the arial socket on the tv. Did an installation scan, and it found 1 analogue channel, that was basically static, and 0 digital channels.

Turned everything off at the wall, and went into the other room which has just a tv (with built in freeview). Checked the arial from the wall was connected to the tv, did an installation scan, and it found ) channels of any kind.

Surely that must mean that the problem is the arial on the roof, or the cables connecting it to whatever box my parents have in their actic (presume their must be a "hub" of some kind - every room in their house (apart from the bathroom!) seems to have an arial point in the wall, so the signal must be split somewhere). Dad's going to give the local arial/TV guy a call tomorrow, and get him over to check it.

Thanks for all the help and advice guys.

Surely that must mean that the problem is the arial on the roof, or the cables connecting it to whatever box my parents have in their actic (presume their must be a "hub" of some kind - every room in their house (apart from the bathroom!)

So it would seem.

With the installation in its present state, do not attempt to retune any more TV's.
If you do so, you will lose all existing channel placeholders in those TV's you retune... and it will be impossible to retune them until you have full signal restoration.

At least on the remaining TV's channels would return if the signal improved.

Good luck and please let us know the outcome.

Could it be that the TVs are connected via a masthead amplifier (perhaps in the attic, if not on the aerial itself), which is (was) powered either by a box or separate power unit (may look like a booster) near the TV in the front room? If you made changes to how the aerial flyleads are connected in the front room, then that could explain it, although then again it doesn't really explain why it would have worked and stopped overnight unless the box powering the amplifier was switched off (or switched itself off) overnight.

Hey guys- thanks for all the suggestions- turns out it was a loose connection in the attic- Dad got the freeview guy out yesterday, he replaced a cable, and some connectors, and now Dad has a brilliant signal, with no drop outs!

Hey guys- thanks for all the suggestions- turns out it was a loose connection in the attic- Dad got the freeview guy out yesterday, he replaced a cable, and some connectors, and now Dad has a brilliant signal, with no drop outs!

Good news ... and thanks for reporting back.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom