Freeview Digital - do you need new ariel / cable ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Stephen.Liu, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Stephen.Liu

Stephen.Liu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am saving up to buy the new Panny PE30 which comes with a Digital Tuner.

Being completely ignorant of how digital TV works :

Qn : would I need a new TV ariel to receive the digital signals.

Also - I currently have [I believe] a high spec splitter in the basement which takes in signals from the ariel and send the TV signals via ordinary TV cables to different TV sockets in the house. Can my existing system cope with signals for the Panny digital tuner ? In other words, can ordinary TV cables accomodate digital signals ?

SL

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,897
    No simple answer.

Digital signals, before they get into the decoder, are fundamentally the same as regular TV. However when affected by any type of interference, they degrade less gracefully than regular TV. For example, something which causes a slight bit of ghosting (say) on an analog signal (which remains watchable) might cause a digital signal to freeze or block. So, it is important to have a clean signal.

For this reason, well screened cables are a good idea. If yours aren't, then they may need replacing. Boosters and splitters all tend to degrade the signal somewhat so they, too, may have a negative effect.

Also, on a given transmitter, digital TV is likely to be broadcast on UHF channels (frequencies) that are not nearby to the analog stuff from the same trasmitter. If your existing aerial is of a type (group) optimised only for the range of frequencies used for analog, it may receive digital signals at a lower level than it should.

If you are in a strong signal area (ie close to the transmitter) then you may well find everything is fine. If you are in a marginal signal area, then new cables, a different sequence of routing to other rooms via your splitters etc, and/or a new aerial may be needed.

Check out details of your transmitter here:

www.dtg.org.uk (menu.....Retailer/Installer > Transmitter Channel information)

to find out what type of aerial is optimal for you. If it is group W then it's unlikely you already have this type and it may need changing. If your transmitter is a local repeater, it's quite possible it doesn't carry Freeview - many don't. In which case you may need a completely new rig, pointing at a main transmitter.

A good local aerial firm should be able to advise further.