Freeview Coverage

Sam24

Established Member
Reaction score
Hiya, is there a website on the internet where you can find out when Freeview is coming to your area? I would like to know as i currently live near Lewes in East Sussex and have a BN7 postcode and at the moment i have been told i cannot recieve freeview in my area.

Thanks alot, Sam

Another Sam!

Looks like Freeview from the Heathfield North transmitter should be possible. But it depends on the terrain. Looks OK with BN7 but I can't check without your full postcode - but you could check it yourself, here:

http://www.tellyaerial.34sp.com/ta.php/transmitters

You'll need a high gain wideband aerial and a masthead amp.

Another Sam!

Looks like Freeview from the Heathfield North transmitter should be possible. But it depends on the terrain. Looks OK with BN7 but I can't check without your full postcode - but you could check it yourself, here:

http://www.tellyaerial.34sp.com/ta.php/transmitters

You'll need a high gain wideband aerial and a masthead amp.

Thanks for that. If i used that website correctly it means that i do not have a direct line of site as the signal must cut through at least 3 obstacles. Thanks anyway though for your help.

Sam

How do I find my NGR reference to use this?

Hello, use this site to find your NGR reference number : http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?

Input your house postcode and click convert. Next copy your NR number which should be in the table, it is made up of 2 letters and 6 numbers.

Then go to http://www.tellyaerial.34sp.com/ta.php/transmitters and input the code that you have just copied accross, select your closest transmitter and click 'show terrain'.

That should be it. Hope that helps, Sam

Thanks but the streetmap URL does not work and I could not see from the frontpage how to get to the conversion page. :-(

Thanks but the streetmap URL does not work and I could not see from the frontpage how to get to the conversion page. :-(

Sorry bout that, i can't seem to work out a working url foir the streetmap one. Another way to do it is to just use http://www.tellyaerial.34sp.com/ta.php/transmitters and at the bottom of the page click the 'find NGR' link and go through that way. I hope this one works, Sam

I don't understand your problem.
Click http://www.tellyaerial.34sp.com/ta.php/transmitters
Click "Find NGR".
Enter your postcode and click "Test".
Copy the LR reference and Close that page.
Paste the LR into the first page "Your NGR Reference".
Select your transmitter from the drop-down list.
Click "Show Terrain".
Click the blue underlined link "To view the terrain between your home and the transmitter please click here to be redirected to MEgALiThiA".
Scroll down and view your terrain map.

Easy!

Tbh, I wouldn't trust any of these sites.

Me and my sister both live in areas that 'cannot receive' freeview, but we get all the channels with a full signal despite a cheap box and old aerial.

Me and my sister both live in areas that 'cannot receive' freeview, but we get all the channels with a full signal despite a cheap box and old aerial.

The neighbours are often a more reliable source. :)

I don't understand your problem.
Click http://www.tellyaerial.34sp.com/ta.php/transmitters
Click "Find NGR".
Enter your postcode and click "Test".
Copy the LR reference and Close that page.
Paste the LR into the first page "Your NGR Reference".
Select your transmitter from the drop-down list.
Click "Show Terrain".
Click the blue underlined link "To view the terrain between your home and the transmitter please click here to be redirected to MEgALiThiA".
Scroll down and view your terrain map.

Easy!

Thank you for explaining it much better than i could. :smashin:

The neighbours are often a more reliable source.

I agree with both of you. These sites merely give predictions and are often overly pessimistic. Even if the terrain shows a massive obstruction, it may be possible to align the aerial in the "wrong" direction to pick up a decent signal reflected from a hill or building. The first thing I'd do is plug a Freeview receiver into your existing aerial system. If it finds *any* multiplexes at all, then you have a chance of doing even better with an optimised aerial system. And it should be better still after analogue switch-off.

Thanks for the instructions, Sam, I had missed the "Find NGR" bit.

I went all the way to Megalithia and , while much lower than the transmitter, there are trees and I have problems when it's windy.

My aerial (DAT45) allows to tilt it up 15 degrees. Is that recommended? The path on Megalithia suggests that my transmitter is much higher up than where I am. Lifting the aerial higher is tricky; it's already on a long pole and flaps about in the wind.

It shouldn't "flap about" - that's dangerous (apart from losing the signal). It should be secured with appropriate guy ropes. Tilting it might afford a slight improvement.

Sorry to jump in on this thread Sam. I have always assumed (wrongly it would seem!) that aerials tilting upwards have just been badly installed. What does tilting an aerial actually achieve?

Thanks.

It shouldn't "flap about" - that's dangerous (apart from losing the signal). It should be secured with appropriate guy ropes.

Sorry, I exaggerated, but thanks for the warning. It has been fitted by an installer and it's not dangerous, it just oscillates very visibly as the aluminium pole is long and the aerial is light. Re guy ropes, I will investigate what they are; the pole is only secured against the side of the house, should it be tied at the top as well?

Guy "ropes" are usually twisted steel but I believe you can get plastic ones made from nylon or polypropylene. It's a skilled job to fit them and adjust the tensioners. Whether they are needed depends on the risk of the aerial coming down and causing damage or injury.

It's common for aerials to be tilted upward. I'm not entirely sure about the reason. You need to consult a professional installer (one with a spectrum analyser - all others are cowboys).

Thanks for the guy-rope explanation.

I am not sure about the "cowboy" statement. The person who came and fitted my aerial was very honest in his pricing with an established business. Maybe he is behind the times, what with his portable aerial and what have you, but he is not a cowboy.

Without a spectrum analyser, it's quite impossible to assess what signals are present at what levels, no matter how long you've been in the business. You can get away with it for 90% of the installations but eventually you'll screw up because you don't know what's going on. It's like employing a blind painter. He's practised and he'll make a great job until you give him a black canvas one day.

Let me give you the opportunity for your 2000th post :)

Say they come with a spectrum analyser and find that indeed the trees in the park are the cause of my problems. (How) Can they rescue the situation?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom