Freeview coverage - any plans for extension?

Dan Mac

Standard Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where i can find out if Freeview is planned to be extended so that i can receive it? I have used their postcode checker and am told "sorry not yet". But i'm not given any indication of when it might be available in future.

At the moment my telly sucks. It's sky or nowt and i don't want sky (yet). No cable, no freeview, not even any channel 5.:(

Or should i just move house?

When the analogue shutdown begins DTT will be expanded and of course there is the hope of more capacity as well.

Border (2nd Half)

West Country (1st Half)
HTV Wales (2nd Half)
Granada (2nd Half)

HTV West (1st Half)
Grampian (1st Half)
Scottish Television (2nd Half)

Yorkshire (1st Half)
Anglia (1st Half)
Central (1st Half)

Meridian (1st Half)
Carlton / LWT (London) (1st Half)
Tyne Tees (2nd Half)
Ulster (2nd Half)

With SKY only costing £150 for a non-subscription system (all in) then I would consider it, if only to get Five. In a few years you can dump it and then move to DTT and view the intital SKY cost as being reasonable when spread over the few years you used it. There may even be a viable "freesat" service on Dsat in a couple of years so then it would only be a matter of replacing the digibox with the Dsat equivalent of a Freeview box.

You should bear in mind that the postcode checker is very pessimistic.
It shows no channels for me but I get all channels with no problems.

The best way to be sure is to try and borrow someone's Freeview box.
As stated before coverage will be increased with analogue shut down but maybe not to all channels.

Thanks for that info. I'll try to borrow a box off someone first then i think. See if the checker was a "half empty" one!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom