1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeview - Channels "skipping/noise/freezing"

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by rmsdev, Feb 25, 2003.

1. rmsdev

rmsdev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Recently done a retune on my philips iDTV

I am getting most if not all the channels now, but it keeps breaking up and freezing (I think because the signal is weak)

Do you think a booster would improve things? If so which one?

Or should I get an indoor aerial (Currently have communal aerial)

Thanks for your input

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe your cabling is duff... is it pretty old cabling (from the aerial box to the RF in on the TV)? If so, replace it with "DTTV-friendly" coax cable.

Might be a problem with the aerial as well, what's the signal strength that comes up for the stations?

A booster might help but it's a long shot - bear in mind that a digital signal is not like an analogue one. It's either read or it isn't. Boosters just increase the signal strength along with all the other noise that's in the signal.

After checking cabling, I'd be inclined to try a DTTV indoor aerial (like they sell in Argos).. assuming, that is, that you can't do anything about the communal aerial.

3. rmsdev

rmsdev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Squirrel God

I am using a new 10m coax cable from wall to TV

And signal strength is poor , but still manage to get BBC1 2/FTN/SKY NEWS without problems

Channel 4/5 itv seems to be breaking up the most

I'll see if I can get an indoor aerial....

BTW what is DTTV friendly coax ???

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the channels are on different multiplexers so that would explain differences between channels. May be an issue with your area then.

'DTTV-friendly' coax is just my way of saying half-decent quality coax that can carry a digital signal well (sometimes they use the phrase 'digital ready').

5. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, "half-decent" isn't good enough. It has to be the proper double-shielded coax as used for satellite dish connections. According to satcure.com anyway.

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know what mine is exactly, but I use a JVC "digital-ready" coax cable with gold-plated connectors between the RF box and the digibox and my reception is superb (no dropouts, freezes or anything at all). Would this be double-shielded coax?

7. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I get the exact same problems from my communal aerial: channels on the 2 64 QAM muxes (ITV and Ch5 ones) break up frequently but others on the 16 QAM muxes are stable. (You don't live in the same apartment block as me do you? :) )

I doubt an indoor aerial will work at all since your signal is poor from the communal one. I'd suggest you contact the building's maintainers and ask about them upgrading the communal aerial and headend amps for DTT use. You may also benefit from a new drop of shielded coax from the aerial.

8. rmsdev

rmsdev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi bobones

you are probably "most " right about my problems with freeview

BTW where are you

I am Brighton, London Road

I have already asked the property manager to have somebody have a look at the aerial and I think that is why I am receiving all the chanels now... so cant ask him again... I am stuck...