1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeview channels 'protected' from recording?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Franco50, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Franco50

Franco50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I have just bought a Sharp DVRW250H which is a DVD/VCR recorder combo, so I set it up last night and tried playing around with it. I was keen to try recording to DVD but was rather dismayed to find that it refused to record off the digital channels from my Freeview box, displaying a 'Protected Media' message on the screen. It recorded OK from BBC1 via Freeview (presumably because this is still analogue??) but this feature is going to seriously restrict what I can record to disk. I checked the user manual and it states this message is displayed when a recording is attempted from protected media or a channel which carries a protection signal. I honestly had no idea before buying the recorder that digital channels were protected in this way as I have previously recorded to my old VHS recorder from a Freeview digital channel using the very same Freeview box.
    Can anyone shed any light on this subject please - e.g. is there a way round it??

2. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    All Freeview channels are digital. TopUP TV channels may be protected. No others should be.
    What Freeview box is it? Nokia?

3. Franco50

Franco50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    No, its a Bush - Ok not top notch I know but the price was right at the time. So do you reckon this 'Media Protection' message is misleading? As you say all Freeview channels are digital I should have, in theory, had the same problem with BBC1 as the others but I was able to do a test recording from that.

4. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    So what channel were you trying to record from when you got this message?

5. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sorry - no ideas. I posted reply because an earlier thread had mentioned similar problem with a Nokia.

6. Franco50

Franco50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Jem - I was going to record an Inspector Morse repeat from ITV3 when I first got the message. I tried one or two other channels (BBC 3 & 4 - even QVC!) with the same result. It was only then I tried BBC1 and was able to carry out a test recording on that successfully. I shall go through each Freeview channel in turn tonight and note which ones give the message and which do not. One thing I didn't try was recording to VHS but I shall test that tonight as well.

7. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    There should be no reason for you not to be able to record from those channels that I know of. Are you recording via scart? How have you connected everything - can't really think this would be an issue but you never know.

8. baxter

baxter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all
    I have Bush digi box connected via scart into a sony dvd recorder.
    I have never recieved any messages when trying to record.Admittly I've never tried recording QVC :laugh: but I'll have a look tonight at the various channels.

Just had a flick through all the free view channels and recorded channels at random, all ok.

As been suggested it could be your setup.

Sorry can't be of any more help

9. Franco50

Franco50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Baxter
    How is your digi box connected up? I have put together a diagram of my setup at the following URL:

www.easi-web.co.uk/VCRsetup.doc

If anyone could please take a look and let me know if I have gone wildly wrong somewhere. I didn't follow the setup suggested in the Sharp manual as it did not show an example of a digi box scenario.

Thanks

10. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Can't see anything wrong with your connections. How many scart sockets does your Freeview box have? If more than one which are you using? Have you tried recording those channels to the VCR part?

11. baxter

baxter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Franco,

My digi box is set up exactly the same way as yours. At the back of my box I have two scart connectors, like your one goes directly into my recorder. The second I have put into a VCR.
    Sorry I can't be of any more help but we seem to have the same digi box with the same wiring. The only difference is that I am using a Sony Dvd recorder where you have a sharp dvd/VCR.
    I don't see that you have gone wrong.
    I can only imagine that your dvd/Vcr is not set up correctly.
    Baxter.

12. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the Bush a clone of any other Freeview boxes?
    What Video/Home Cinema Choice reported exactly this problem quite some time ago,but I think it was with a Humax box.It was sending out CP signals triggering the Macrovision inside your dvd recorder

13. Franco50

Franco50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Sorry I didn't manage to post an update last night but here it is now. My first post on this subject was misleading (apologies) because the successful DVD recording I made was made from analogue BBC1 and not via the Freeview box. Last night I double checked my connections and ran the following tests:

I was able to make a successful test DVD recording from all analogue channels but get the 'protection' error when I attempt recording from ANY channel via Freeview.

I was able to make successful test recordings onto the VCR from all channels both analogue and via Freeview.

It would appear from this that the problem lies with the Bush Freeview box, as Pheling says it may be fooling the DVD recorder into thinking it is recording protected material.
    The Bush has always had another annoying habit anyway (which may or may not be contributing to the DVD issue) - it seems to be very sensitive to power usage elsewhere in the house, despite the fact I have it plugged into a surge protector socket. As an example, if I open my fridge door and the light comes on I lose sound on certain Freeview channels for a few seconds, similarly if the washing machine is working and is switching from one cycle to another. For this reason alone I have been considering changing to another box so perhaps the DVD recrding problem will now make me go out and do it!

Unless anyone has a miracle solution to my problem I think I shall be buying another Freeview box as everything seems to point to that being the weak link.

14. Frizzler

Frizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've experienced exactly the same problem with aPanasonice DVD recorder and a Thomson set top box. Thomson tell me that all freeview channels are copy protected - which I'm not sure I really believe. They told me to ring Freeeview - who advised that some are and some aren't but they couldn't say which ones and suggested I ring the BBC!! If anyone out there has a set top box that they can make DVD recordings on please let us all know! Thanks in anticipation.

15. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I haven’t had any problems yet recording from my Sony VTX-D800U Freeview box. Lots of other people have Freeview and various DVD recorders, and this doesn't seem to be a problem. There was another thread recently where someone also had the same problem with a Bush box... I’ve mainly recorded from BBC, ITV, CH4, and CH5; possibly some channels are protected, but not that I’ve found yet.

Mark

16. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Thomson are telling porkies. I have a Daewoo Setpal plus an older Pace On-Digital box and have no problems recording any Freeview channels onto my Panasonic E55 and E65 DVDRs.