Freeview channels disappear mysteriously

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by klirr, Sep 16, 2005.

  1. klirr

    klirr
    Guest

    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for stopping by. We have two Freeview boxes in our flat; one in the sitting room and one in the bedroom. I don't know much about aerial cables and wiring (which you probably will understand), but there is a socket marked "SAT" in the sitting room from which there is a coaxial cable with a two-way splitter, one end going straight into another socket marked "TV" and the other end going via an RF cable to the Freeview box. This is how our landlord had installed it. In the bedroom there is another socket marked "TV", into which we've put an RF cable leading to the second Freeview box. This has worked fine for about a month.

    Now all of sudden when we turn on the "main" Freeview box (the one in the sitting room) that particular channel AND any other channel on that frequency won't work on the other box. The instant we change channels on the main Freeview box the channel reappears on the other box but then the current channel on the main box won't work on the second box. We must have done something wrong with the wiring, but I don't really understand why it's worked fine until now. Has this happened to anyone else here, or does anyone know what to do?

    Thanks in advance for any help. :thumbsup:
     
  2. Nick_UK

    Nick_UK
    Banned

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2004
    Messages:
    9,748
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    103
    Ratings:
    +270
    That's weird, because Freeview channels are not transmitted as channels, but as groups of channels called "multiplexes" (or mux for short), and the decoder decodes a channel from a particular mux. All I can suggest is that your signals are on the borderline, and simple interaction between boxes is causing this.
     
  3. klirr

    klirr
    Guest

    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update: Fixed it (for now)!

    I thought about the fact that signals after all deteriorate depending on how many TVs and set-top boxes they're connected to, so I checked the signal strength whenever I switched channels. Since this led to the signal on the bedroom box becoming weaker, I removed the channel splitter and m/f coaxial cable and inserted an m/m coaxial cable instead; this way the signal became just strong enough to be accepted and decoded by the box, so now things work fine (until the weather worsens, of course... ;) ). I still don't understand why not all of the channels on one mux disappeared at once, though. :confused:
     

Share This Page

Loading...