1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeview Channel Numbers

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by nheather, Nov 2, 2004.

1. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,197
    I shall be shortly buying a Plasma Panel. I use Sky most of the time so am happy to ditch analogue terrestial but I've decided to get a Freeview box as a backup for Sky (bad weather, system fault, general sky problem).

The Freeview site says my postcode is no go, so I decided to buy a box from Index to try (and take back if necessary). I bought the cheapest just in case they wouldn't take it back (Argos won't for example !!!).

Anyway, plugged the Alba in and it works fine. It actually looks quite good and has a digital audio out (Coax)- the only real fault I can find is the brand, Alba (bit snobby, I'll admit).

If I'm picky, the one thing I don't like are the channel numbers. I've deleted the encrypted channels and the shopping channels but the remaining channels are not ordered nicely (e.g. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 13, 17, 26, 31 etc - just an example but you get the picture).

On the Alba you can't change the channel numbers, nor can you freely change the order in which the channels appear.

Is this just a symptom of Digital Freeview and therefore, the same on all Freeview receivers or are there some receivers that allow the user to:

(i) Freely change the order of channels.
    (ii) Change the channel numbers (e.g. change 13 to 6 in the example above).

Cheers,

Nigel

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    On the Pace Twin, and on the old ex OnDigital boxes, you can create a "favourites" list of selected channels. Perhaps others do this, too.

3. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    You will probably find that the channel numbers that you have correspond to the standard Freeview designation, ie BBC News 24 is CH40. As Nigel says, some boxes allow you to create a favorites list where you can normally assign to your own channels.

Im have the opposite problem. I have a Pace Twin and stick with the standard designations, but my new TV also has a DTV decoder, but it orders all channel numbers sequentially and mixes them with the analogue versions too. Its such a pain having them different to the Pace box. I would try and keep the Pace synchronised with the DTV tuner by use of a favorites list, but when new channels are added, ITV3, ABC1 etc, I either need to put them at the end of the list, or regroup everything and loose the existing channel numbers. Horses for courses I guess.

-Ian

4. tomleeeee

tomleeeee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Humax and old Packard Bell box allowed you to delete channels and put them in favourite order. But you're right. After channel 7 (BBC3) the numbering does get a bit mixed up. I mean, itv3 on C34 - C13 was free, at least that sounds more itv3ish!