Freeview channel help please.

JimboSE

Hi All

To cut a long story short I have left Sky as my bill was reaching astronomical proportions and have opted for freeview which so far I am very pleased with (although having to fork out for a large aerial and amplifier splitter and getting someone to fit it all was a bit of a pain ha ha).
Now my big question is I live in East Sussex and receive my signal from the Heathfield transmitter and I don't seem to get some channels I have heard people talking about in the forums,2 I can think off of the top of my head are PBS America and Freesports.
I did try and do a bit of research and and was completely bamboozled with Mux this and Com that and honestly could not make head nor tail of it if im honest.
Does anyone know why I am missing some channels and will I ever get them or is it all a lost cause as our transmitter is poop.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Thanks all

Jimbose aka James:)

TJT1

Does anyone know why I am missing some channels
I know. I know sir:D
The Heathfield transmitter does not transmit the MUX's/Coms that your 'missing' programmes are on. Com7/8 is/are not on Heathfield. I am on the Hastings Heathfield repeater.
and will I ever get them or is it all a lost cause as our transmitter is poop.
No, Yes, No it isn't, it just doesn't have com7/8.

JimboSE

Why thank you TJT1 for your help and its a shame we wont get them,do you think we will ever get these missing channels on freeview or is that also a big no no ;)

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Hi All

To cut a long story short I have left Sky as my bill was reaching astronomical proportions and have opted for freeview which so far I am very pleased with (although having to fork out for a large aerial and amplifier splitter and getting someone to fit it all was a bit of a pain ha ha).
Now my big question is I live in East Sussex and receive my signal from the Heathfield transmitter and I don't seem to get some channels I have heard people talking about in the forums,2 I can think off of the top of my head are PBS America and Freesports.
I did try and do a bit of research and and was completely bamboozled with Mux this and Com that and honestly could not make head nor tail of it if im honest.
Does anyone know why I am missing some channels and will I ever get them or is it all a lost cause as our transmitter is poop.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Thanks all

Jimbose aka James:)

Why didn't you just replace your Sky-Box with a Freesat+ box ? Connection wise it's virtually a straight swap or even a cheap generic FTA PVR ready satellite box.

The two Freeview Multiplexes you are missing will likely be shut down anyway due to the clearance of the 700 MHz band.

TJT1

Why thank you TJT1 for your help and its a shame we wont get them,do you think we will ever get these missing channels on freeview or is that also a big no no ;)
My pleasure kind sir. Always like to help a fellow southerner if I can.
Re. missing MUXs. Wot he said in para #2.

And why the 'large aerial'? How far from Heathfield do you live?

JimboSE

Hi All

Thank you so kindly for your help,i live about 10 miles from Heathfield but in a dip so a bigger aerial was required but is doing the job just fine :)
I didn't go to Freesat as I would have had to buy the box but as im changing BB provider they are giving me a HD freeview box for just £25 so I thought that was pretty good and was relativlely cheap compared to purchasing one myself.
If COM7/8 will be shutting down will they move the channels to a COM that we may receive them do you think,just a thought :)
Again thank you all so kindly you have been more than helpful.

Kindest Regards

Jimbose aka James

TJT1

JimboSE

Ha Ha I know what you mean but its still a lot cheaper than buying one from Argos or Curry's.
I just hope it all works ok as I remember a few years back when I was on BT tv their freeview recorder was a bit pants but that was when BT tv first started,i do hope the new TalkTalk tv box is better :laugh:
I do think I will miss SkyQ but I wont miss the massive bill I was paying :)

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Hi All

Thank you so kindly for your help,i live about 10 miles from Heathfield but in a dip so a bigger aerial was required but is doing the job just fine :)
I didn't go to Freesat as I would have had to buy the box but as im changing BB provider they are giving me a HD freeview box for just £25 so I thought that was pretty good and was relativlely cheap compared to purchasing one myself.
If COM7/8 will be shutting down will they move the channels to a COM that we may receive them do you think,just a thought :)
Again thank you all so kindly you have been more than helpful.

Kindest Regards

Jimbose aka James

Unless they make other changes that would make a lot of peoples kit useless then there isn't enough space. eg Switch all MUX to DVB-T2 modulation which requires Freeview-HD specified kit.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/ass...e-benefits-of-700-MHz-clearance-Statement.pdf

JimboSE

Thank you all again for your responses and much appreciated,to be honest I don't honestly know if I am missing much :)
Thanks again everyone :thumbsup:

TJT1

to be honest I don't honestly know if I am missing much :)
You are probably not:). But it's always worth a moan when you haven't got something that others have.:rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom