freeview chanels in 4.3 format

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Skeeter, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Skeeter

Skeeter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For example the TMF and The Hits are both shown in 4.3 (stretched abit) i think and arnt broadcast in widescreen, why are they and many other freeview chanels not showing in widescreen format.

At least QVC said it wont be long for them to start being in widescreen format. The other two shopping channels seem to be in widescreen but the triangle they have with prices on doesnt seem very triangly as in when u switch to 4.3 aspect on ur box it looks alot better and the text does too. but when my box is set to 16.9 it looks a bit stretched.

So can anyone tell me which channels are broadcasting in widescreen and which are not and if not does anyone know if they will be soon?

cheers...

and yes i do have my widescreen tv set on 16.9 and the strong freeview box is also set on 16.9 aspects.

2. MatthewS

MatthewS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TMF, The Hits, Sky Sports News, UK History, and some others always broadcast in 4:3. Why? Just because they're slow on the uptake. With UK History you could argue that a lot of the content they broadcast is old documentaries, which means most of their programs are 4:3, but the others just need to get their act together.

As for TMF and THe Hits being "4:3 but a bit stretched", that must be your setup. Are you sure that your TV is switching between formats correctly, or perhaps you have the TV set to 16:9 all the time?

Matt.

3. Skeeter

Skeeter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My tv good as it is doesnt have auto for the formats so i can either have 4:3/14:9/16:9 and i keep mine on 16:9.

My (Strong) make freeview box is set at 16:9 aspect and conversion to ignore, i have the options of letterbox/panscan/combined/ignore.

What should it be?

4. MatthewS

MatthewS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In that case, you should have the digibox set to 16:9, and when the program is obviously 4:3 you should manually switch the tv to 4:3 (if your tv does the same as mine, you should then get black bars at the sides of the screen, and the content should be in the correct aspect ratio).

Matt. :)

5. Skeeter

Skeeter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers.

But here's me hoping all DIGITAL (from freeview box) would have all widescreen shows now.

Ah well i hope they get them selves sorted.

6. Skeeter

Skeeter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also is it normal for when u do get black bars on left and right for them to go bendy sometimes?

I invested in my 28 inch LG widescreen tv with a superflat tube (not screen) hoping that would give nicer than norm edges like the black bars and such.

Sometimes it gets VERY bendy like a cm or 2. And fluctuates between whats happeninng on the particular show.

Any reason why it does this, ive only had it a few months. and did cost alot of money at £250 for me.

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    It's normal if the TV's geometry isn't perfect and I have never seen a CRT that could claim that, as a general rule of course you do get what you pay for.
    If you want near perfect geometry than you have to look at LCD or Plasma panel displays.

8. MatthewS

MatthewS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The wavey edges of the bars is light bleeding from the neighbouring pixels. It is more pronounced around areas of high light intensity, and is generally worse on the trailing edge of the scan (if the electron beam scans left to right, it will be worse on the right edge).

As Starburst said, pixel matrix displays such as LCD and plasma suffer much less than CRT displays, but you'll find that cheaper tubes suffer a lot more than higher quality ones such as Panasonic's 'Tau' tube.

Matt. :)

9. Skeeter

Skeeter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for info dudes.

Heres my tv and i think its no cheap one as 250 is alot for me.