1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeview card reception

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by Mike-M, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Mike-M

Mike-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I have recently built a HTPC running MCE2005. I am generally impressed with the result but have gone back to using my STB for Freeview because of problems with it via the PC. I would really like to use the PC for Freeview and am hoping someone has encounted the same difficulty as me and can provide a solution.
    I have two of the Black Gold Freeview cards and I'm having problems getting the full range of channels. During the scan at setup all the available channels seem to be found untill near the end of the scan when the found channels number drops from around 35 to around 10 (the initial scan retained all channels but subsequent one's never have). Also Channel 5 is unwatachable about 90% of the time due to picture breakup.
    I know my ariel is OK as I recently had it replaced with a new high gain one installed by a professional installer. I have had a number of STB's and never had a reception problem on any of them
    The only clue I have managed to find is that interferance in the PC may be the cause and using external USB boxes may be the solution. I would be willing to do this but don't want to buy them on the off chance they may cure the problem.
    Any advice would be most welcome

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have one Black Gold card fitted in mine and I find it a most excellent card. It is very sensitive (it has to be for me to get a good ITV, C4 and Five picture).

Where have you got them fitted? I'd suggest taking one out and putting the other in the furthermost slot away from your graphics card.

Dave

3. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    I get very good performance from set top boxes and USB freeview tuners, but with PCI cards the QAM16 (ITV, CH4 and 5) channels are unwatchable. The environment inside a PC means that you must have a very good signal to get good reception - much better than the signal quality needed for reception outside a PC.

If you have the best possible ariel installed then not sure there's anything you can do about the PCI cards. But a switch to USB should work. However not sure which ones if any are MCE compatible. I think the Nebula may be or they plan to make it compatible sometime soon. Check their website.

4. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    I too use the BlackGold and I am very disappointed. I've just put up a high gain aerial and my Pioneer freeview states I have 91% signal strength ang 100% quality. However, the Blackgold card in MCE & Mediaportal occasionally stutters and I get the occasional blockiness. I think I will be retruning it for a refund.

5. Mike-M

Mike-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I know there are some MCE compatable USB freeview boxes (seen a mini review in a magazine) Think I'm going to have to try one to see if it works for me.
    As you seem to have experienced a similar situation philipb it seems I stand a good chance.