Freeview but NO scart socekt

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by markyboy, Jun 27, 2005.

1. markyboy

markyboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an old tv with NO scart socket.

Can I still connect and watch a Freeview box through it ???

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,025
    Do you mean "no SCART" or do you mean, no AV inputs at all - only an aerial socket?

If it has AV inputs then yes - easy - any Freeview box will do, plus a cable that has SCART on one end and - video - audio L - audio R - on the other.

If the TV only has an RF (aerial) socket then still yes, but you have to choose a Freeview box that has an RF modulator (RF output) inside. Not all do - some only do "loopthrough" which simply forwards on the normal analog signal (Ch 1-5). With this setup, it all works much the same as a VHS machine would with the same TV; you have one "channel" on the TV which you use for everything coming out of the Freeview box.

But - RF is the "worst" signal protocol for picture quality so don't expect marvels. AV connections (video, SVideo or better still RGB) are to be preferred. So, consider a new TV, too, when you can.

3. markyboy

markyboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.

Yes it's a 10+ year old 14" portable in the bedroom with ONLY an Aerial socket. If it's possible and the picture is perfectly watchable then I may invest a MASSIVE £35 to get a cheap Freeview box from my local tesco's (checking that it has an RF out socket).

4. HarryAlffa

HarryAlffa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First Things First
    Make sure you live in an area which is capable of receiving Freeview signals.
    RF Modulator
    Almost all of the freeview boxes I've seen which have an RF modulator don't tell you that on the (cardboard) box. You have to open the packaging and read the manual to see if it gives any instructions about choosing an RF channel or tuning your TV.
    Even taking the box out of the box ( :D freeview out of cardboard :D ) and looking at the connectors themselves, almost all ariel sockets are labeled RF Loopthrough, even if they have a modulator.
    Picture Quality
    Unless you have an absolutely perfect analogue signal you will notice a great picture quality improvement on your 10+ years 14" portable, even just through the ariel socket.
    And unless your new TV (if you get one, 14" portable for £50 from supermarket) accepts an RGB signal through the scart socket you will be hard pushed to notice any improvement over the ariel socket. That's what I've found on such TV's anyway.
    RF the "worst"
    This is a bit of prejudicial way of putting it, (which is why the previous poster put worst in quotes?) I would rather say that it is the basic connector type. It can't be that bad, 'cause millions of people watch analogue signals on BIG TVs. If you have a basic TV, then a basic connector is all you need.

5. leeds85

leeds85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what if in the same situation there was a video connected to the tv through the aerial but the video had a scart socket empty. could the freeview be connected to the video making the RF modulator unnecessary?

6. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    You have hit on the solution. This works ! Tune the set into channel 36 or thereabouts and you should be able to use a Scart connected Freeview without any problems. There are no cheap supermarket Freeviews that have a modulated output. I used this set-up on an old 14" without SCART. Picture is pretty acceptable.

7. leeds85

leeds85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cool, i didnt mean to get it right in my 1st post
    lol

can i ask what aerial you used, did u have to buy a new one, if so which.

8. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    The type of aerials used rather depends on where you live and the signal strength. I live about 10 miles from the Tacolston transmitter and I used a cheap aerial in the loft connected to a booster. I use cable for my main tv reception. There is loads of stuff on the Forum about aerials. Try the one you have and it might be OK.

9. Bob Staines

Bob Staines
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The Thomson freeview box with the top up tv slot has an Rf modulator, i use it to run a portable tv in our kitchen whilst the main set in our lounge is fed by the scart.

10. byngo

byngo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The idea with the old VCR will only work if the VCR has an RF modulator.
    Most modern VCR's are the same as a freeview box in that they expect you to watch a recording via scart and the RF in / out is just loop through.