1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeview BT netgem Ethernet broadband setup neet help

Discussion in 'BT Broadband' started by rigman, May 12, 2004.

1. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Hi

having bother accessing my broadband using my freeview BT adapter. I have got the Belkin recommended USB to Ethernet adaptor and the settings have changed with the menu to allow information about the connection to be changed. I use zen internet
    I have done the following

Access provider cannot be changed and just says Ethernet
    Configuration is manual
    IP address has been put in as provided by zen
    Netmask I have left blank I do not know what to put in here
    DNS1 and 2 I have filled in info as provided by zen
    SMTP server I have filled in as mailhost.zen.co.uk

I cannot get it to connect. If I go into options there is boxes to fill in
    Gateway
    host name
    proxy server
    Time server

I am not sure what to put in these, if someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

My ADSL modem is a Dynamode R-ADSL-C1

thanks
    Darren

2. RBJTech

RBJTech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I'm not too familiar with the netgem product but having a quick look at the net suggest it is just a standard networking device.

Therefore all you need to ensure is that the netgem(or USB to Ethernet device) is on the same subnet as your PC/ADSL modem/router.

To do this - go into Windows and see what your IP address is - x.x.x.x and importantly what subnet you are in form x.x.x.x. Your IP should be something like 192.168.0.x if you have setup home networking (on WinXP for example) with a subnet of 255.255.255.0

As long as the IP of the USB/Ethernet device is in the subnet range (say 192.168.0.x+1) with the same subnet then the devices will 'talk' to each other.

The other critical part is 'gateway' - this should be the same IP address as your PC (or router if your using this). Also set your DNS the same as the PC/router - this device will manage your DNS lookups. Proxy and time shouldn't be needed but host name might - put in 'freeview' and that should be sufficient.

Once all this has been done - the best way to check is to ping the device from your PC to see if it responds (and the command prompt, type ping 192.168.0.x+1)

I hope this helps ....

3. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Thanks for that. After quite a while messing around it turned out to be the brand new!!! cable that was supplied with the adaptor It must have a broken wire inside the sheaf. I just set the box to auto connect and that was that. You would think that the cable would be tested before being sold. Oh well at least the adpator works..

Darren

4. RBJTech

RBJTech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Great - the adapter must have got itself an address via DHCP (dynamic host configuration protocol) which must be running on the router or PC.