1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeview boxes of the future with HDMI..?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Faust, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    If you opted to buy a panel without HD capability and no integrated Freeview tuner, then what happens when analogue is turned off, and Hi Def becomes the norm. Would the buyer not have to hope that Freeview boxes of the future are still being made and more importantly have an HDMI input..? Simply a thought from an idle mind.

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    I'd expect them to also have Component outputs, because these can give HD resolutions and on Free TV, copy protection wouldn't be required.

3. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    It doesn't matter whether its Free or subscription TV. The studios are still going to want their HD material copy protected.

-Ian

4. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    This is what I thought and is what got me thinking. I have read so many postings over the last few days from members saying they are not interested in Hi Def and have therefore gone for the cheaper non Hi Def panel. Many then say in the next breath that due to cost they don't expect to change the panel for at least ten years. It could just be that in ten years time Freeview STB's will be a thing of the past as all new t.v.'s will have digital tuners. Don't assume that manufacturers are some benevolent body that thinks "oh we must keep producing Freeview boxes, and they must include HDMI because lots of people in the early days of this technology bought none Hi Def panels". I would assume the opposite, i.e. big business can smell an opportunity to make more money be selling you a new panel. Not that I am cynical you understand.

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I think it's a huge assumption that HD will become the norm in the next 10 years after all there is no regulatory pressure to adopt the technology unlike in the US.

Don't forget Freeview itself only has a 10 year license before it needs to be renewed and with the need for further compression via advanced codecs the idea that the current STB's will still be in use after analogue shutdown is almost laughable:)

Well not entirely right but you would expect from a simple economic standpoint mpeg4 based STB's will replace the current crop of mpeg2 only and why not introduce HDMI and even upscaling tech into the manufacturer lead STB market that Freeview exists in.

6. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    The point I was trying to make was that saving a few quid now may, just may, be a bit shorted sighted in the longer term. Not everyone upgrades t.v.'s every few years and I suspect given the price of LCD/Plasma this practice will become more widespread not less.

7. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    I hope you're right. I'd have no problem buying a new decoder (provided it cost no more than my current one, 100 pounds) to allow better picture quality (MPEG-4, pleeeease!)

8. c.jelly

c.jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    There is nothing in the current Freeview deal to do with HD, though.

What's to say someone else won't do a DTT in HD service?

9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

It may indeed be a private broadcaster who aquires some DTT capacity and introduces higher spec STB's for a HD service. It is possible but probably impractical given the cost and potential market based on price and coverage.

However I suspect it won't be really viable until analogue shutdown, even with mpeg4 on the currently non-freeivew controlled muxes there simply is not the capacity, so much easier to use Dsat and either piggy back on SKY's hardware or go the FTA/Cam route.

10. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

I don't think HD is that important to the masses (most haven't even heard of it) and it's not going to become the standard spec broadcast for the UK.
    For most HD will not be a factor even in 10 years so remaining within the SD spec is not a big risk.

However for the next 5 possibly 10 years DTT and by extension Freeview certainly will not be going anywhere and even though it's likely that there will be some movement on the hardware spec the Freeview channels will probably remain mpeg2 until at last 2012.
    Paying a little extra for integrated DTT tuner display makes a lot of sense especially if you live in a region with analogue shutdown is in a little over 2 years:)