1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeview boxes, differences in sound quality?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by frankjb, Jan 18, 2004.

1. frankjb

frankjb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My wife wished to get a freeview box. No problem with that as it may offer me the facility to obtain a Jazz FM radio signal here in North Yorkshire which would be unavailable to me otherwise. (I miss it greatly since moving over from Manchester!

I have a nice hifi set up & would like to output the freeview box into my amps or D/A converters somehow.

But I am after the model that offers the best sound quality as an output - as long as it is either a good analogue (as in my std FM tuner), or as a digital signal in some form.

Now it is already well known that Digital Radio (DAB) cannot get anywhere near even a reasonable FM tuner mainly due to the compression put on the signal (ie they leave lots of bits of the signal out to save on sbandwith) - maybe they feel that everyone listens on £5 trannies or their like. I don't.

Has anyone any advice on which current model of system offers the best sound quality on radio - esp say radio 3 & 4 which also five an uncompressed signal on FM too? (I couldn't give a 4X about the TV side! - that's the wife's bit!)

Shame is I have heard that Jazz FM on Freeview though available, is very compressed and runs at only a low bit rate so the quality won't be there in the first place I suppose.

Frankjb

2. jaymac

jaymac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    I'd agree as far as the panasonic tu20 It was pathetic against my FM tuner but the sony 8000 is very good difficult to spot the difference other than volume change (slight) thats through phono output and mainly radio2/jazzfm

3. Ice

Ice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    frankjb

I haven't compared one freeview box with another, but I have compared freeview radio with analogue radio.

The test was done using the same amplifier (Sony STR-DB930) and speakers. In essence, I compared the analogue tuner on the Sony STR-DB930 with the Sony VTX-D800U freeview box, and really found it hard to decide which was better.

I am in the process of buying an optical cable so that the Sony amplifier does the digital to analogue coding instead of the Sony freeview box, to see if that makes a difference.

Cheers,
    Ice :cool:

4. frankjb

frankjb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, consensus seems to be that the sony box sounds good. I like the look of (not having heard it!) the Pioneer box. Has anyone any experience with it using radio?

Frankjb