Freeview box

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Pete Delaney, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +658
    Can someone recommend a freeview box to get, which do you think is the best all-rounder? :rolleyes:

Thanks

Pete.

2. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
  3. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +658
    Thanks for the link. By the way, what in your opinion is the best cheese? :rolleyes:

4. steve-o

steve-o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    cheddar.

5. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +658
  6. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Ah - the Topfield 5800T - looks exactly like the one I have upstairs connected to my Panasonic DMR-ES20D dvd recorder. So far the Topfield has failed to record three set programmes from the EPG. My (downstairs) Digifusion FVRT150 has never failed to record anything I set in the past eight months. The pic on the Topfield is excellent and well it should be for £280. Topfield have made approx 5 updates (USB PC Connection internet download) since last August. I do wish they would fix a stable OTA download.
    They have promised one of the latter provisionally for 17th December.
    http://www.toppy.org.uk/static/fixBugsEPG.html
    Maybe when all the problems are fixed it will be an excellent choice. The Humax 9200T also has problems at the moment altho many people are happy with it. I just tried mine to see that it works (it does) but its been back in the box for the past 10 days or so. It has to share aerial with the Toppy at present so waiting decision where to put it. My Digifusion is the most reliable FREEVIEW PVR at present - but I thought you were asking about just the STB's.

7. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +658
    Sorry if I misled you. I really like the idea of a freeview box with recording facilities. It's a bit like my 'sky+ box'. But I am not going to renew my sky contract in January, which is why I am looking for freeview.

8. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    No bother. From the recent threads I have read many people seem to be giving up $ky. Reckon a PVR is your best bet but choosing which one is going to be a challenge. As I stated above I have three but the most reliable one so far is the fusion FVRT150 (now superceded by the FVRT200). Mine is used daily. Shame it only has an 80GB HDD compared with the other two and it doesn't have all the bells and whistles but for £180 it does a damn good job. It also has the 14 day EPG v the other two's 7 day EPG. Plus the problems of the others. There is a Humax 9200T thread over on the Digital Spy forums with over 1600 postings. Probably take around 8 hours to read 'em all. The Topfield may well prove to be the best in the long run but just now it isn't. My only beef about these Freeview PVR's is that there is no provision for any external source inputs and therefore you cannot record onto them. Hence my upstairs connection to the Panasonic ES20D (which itself is a freeview + analogue tuner). Living room has the Digifusion FVRT150 connected to the Panasonic E85 dvd recorder. It's easy to transfer recordings made on the PVR to either DVD-R, DVD-RAM, or even shift them to the Panasonics HDD. That way I can keep the fusion HDD relatively clear for further freeview recordings.
    I also have a Sagem STB connected to the E85 and also to the TV. (standard 28" CRT LG with 3 AV inputs). I also have a Grundig and three Pace STB's scattered around).
    If you need a trouble free PVR right now then go for the Digifusion (Topfield, if you are prepared to wait for the sorting out).

9. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +658
    Top post Royold.....Thanks; and let's see if the OTA in December sorts out the Toppy :thumbsup: