Freeview box with VGA out?

TomWilko

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Do these even exist? I ask because I am looking for something that will allow me to watch TV on a standalone Widescreen monitor that only accepts VGA inputs.

Any help would be appreciated as I'd ideally like to keep it all within one system and not have to buy various pieces of hardware to do it.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom,

AverMedia do Freview box with VGA out, but please look for reviews, as I aint impressed with mine !

and I can't find many other alternatives !

Stan.

Tom,

AverMedia do Freview box with VGA out, but please look for reviews, as I aint impressed with mine !

and I can't find many other alternatives !

Stan.

Cheers for that one, I'll watch out because I saw them as a possibility.

I find it impossible to believe you have a TV with only VGA inputs. That would be a monitor.

I'm sure you can buy Scart to VGA cables, get one of those.

I find it impossible to believe you have a TV with only VGA inputs. That would be a monitor.

I'm sure you can buy Scart to VGA cables, get one of those.

Yeah basically I have a Monitor with standard VGA input and I want to know how I can get this to show me TV.

Tom,

As I said previously I aint impressed with my Avermedia freeview box (with VGA out) - continually crashes and looses all stored configuration.

So I've been looking for an alternative, and I found another Freeview Box with VGA out. (the bonus is it also includes DVD player)

Xoro HRT1500 - approx £80 from 3wisemonkeys.

For £80 I'm going to give it a go.
Not received it yet but will advise of first impressions when it arrives !

Regards,
Stan.

What about the sound?
Has your monitor got speakers?

Does your monitor accept TV resolutions and refresh rates? Its not going to be any use if it doesn't even if you did have a way of connecting the two.

Hi Stan, the HRT1500 sounds good to me. Have you run into any problems with yours - e.g. lockups, control not working, picture quality etc etc ?

Regards, John.

John,
had my HRT1500 for almost a month now - pleased with it.
No problems, no lock up's, good picture.

Initial set up (easy) had to be done on a TV.
It wouldn't just output to a monitor from scratch.

Stan.

I also got one of these (see a thread I put up)

Stan 0 how did you get yours to output 800x600? As mine only outputs in 640x480 @ 60Hz (had to select NTSC as the TV type for it to display)

As said, you have to set it up using a scart plugged into a normal TV at first. Whilst it's still plugged in to the normal TV, go to the set up menu and select the tv type. Select NTSC. Then go to the video output menu. Select VGA and it will ask if you want to use progscan. Select yes, and your TFT monitor should flicker into life!

Quick note - once you have it all set up and working, and take it to whatever room you want to use it in and get it all in place - DON'T HIT THE NTSC BUTTON ON THE REMOTE (OR THE I/P BUTTON) - Cos chances are you will lose the video connection to the monitor and won't be able to get it back again without connecting it up to a normal TV again via scart ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom