Freeview box with HDMI cheap?

Grebil

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've got a monitor I'd like to convert into a TV with a freeview box and an HDMI to DVI converter but am struggling to find a decent freeview box with HDMI for about £40.

Are there any decent ones out there you can recommend?

Thanks.

This sounds like it should not be a problem BUT I think I once read that some with hdmi input (hdmi to hdmi) will not do it unless they have, and then I can not remember what! I think something to do with copyright protection.

Ah yes that would make sense, think it's called HDCP (the HDMI copy protection system)

Ok, so new requirement - can't have HDCP. Do they exist?

Thanks.

Many computer monitors won't work with 50Hz TV signals anyway so it may not be a solution to attach a box like that ... Most require 60Hz minimum signals and TV resolutions may not match either... search this forum or Google the problem, as it has come up before.

HDCP is only relevant on High Def TV signals... Standard Def should not need it. However HDCP is mandatory on any HD boxes sold in the UK with the Freeview badge.

You will find suitable boxes in the cheap brands on ebay and amazon in your price range, albeit 'refurbished' units. Second-hand units are another possible.

As Rodders implies, the likelihood is that your monitor cannot cope with the standard 50Hz video signal that such boxes produce... so before you go any further, check the specification of the monitor to see whether or not it has this capability.

Most only go as low as 56Hz which is no good.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom