1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeview box with HD and decoder

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by MikeRJ, Dec 13, 2004.

1. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Our old Philips OnDigital box which used to be fine is starting to become more and more unreliable, locking up two or three times a day. I'd like a new box that supports MHEG and 7/8 day program guide. A built in HD recorder would be a nice bonus (but not a must have), and because my wife has subscribed to Topup TV it must have a card slot.

Any recommendations for a good quality, decent performance box that meets these requirements? Cost is less of an issue than reliability and performance.

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The DigiFusion FVRT100 box that Dixons & Currys sell for about £170 is quite a good buy. 40 GB hard disk, twin tuners so you can record a program whilst watching another, and a 7-day EPG. The only thing that lets it down is the remote control with its tiny buttons, but overall it's quite a nice box. Don't think it has a card slot, though.

3. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The card slot is mandatory unfortunately, sounds perfect otherwise. I've just found the PACE Twin Digital TV recorder which appears to have a slot. Any views on the performance of this receiver?[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font]

4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The Pace Twin is very good

The slot is useful for keeping old credit cards in - email them for their card slot plans!

5. raydawson

raydawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I have both the Fusion FRT100, which is a twin tuner freeview and HD recorder, and the Thomson DTI2300, which is a single tuner freeview with card slot.

I use the Fusion for general viewing and recording and the Thomson for Top up TV. The Thomson also feeds my Toshiba HDD recorder and, as it has a built in RF modulator, feeds the other TVs in the house via RF.

Cheers,

Ray D

6. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hmm, would I be correct in saying that there is currently NO Topup TV capable box that also has a hard drive?