Freeview Box with Component Output?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by G-man.au, Mar 21, 2005.

1. G-man.au

G-man.au

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there a Freeview box that has component output?

Especially wondering about the Sony or the Phillips.

Or will I have use a Scart/ RGB output and run it though a JS Converter to get Component output?

2. bspks

bspks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Daewoo Setpal box has a scart socket (unfortunately only 1 socket) that can be configured to output either RGB, SVIDEO or COMPONENT video.
    You need to go into the engineering menu py pressing "STATUS, SELECT, TEXT, TEXT, SELECT" to select this option and a special scart lead is required.
    I have include the diagram below

Attached Files:

3. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Netgem I-player has component output via the Scart connector (config in menu for either RGBs or Component).

Rob.

4. G-man.au

G-man.au

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seems the Netgem I-player is the one for me to get then. Does it rate well in other areas too?

5. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    The Netgem is a good box. I have 4 Freeview boxes at the moment. The Sony, the Netgem, Panasonic TUCT20 and a Mustek something-or-other (cheapy from ebuyer).

Of all the boxes the Netgem is by far the best PQ using RGB via JS RGB2VGA into my Panny plasma. I prefer this than I do component straight into the plasma (text etc has a slightly more jagged edge and picture seems to show more artifacts around logo's etc using component input for some reason). I've played with many settings (sharpness etc), but for me the RGB>VGA option wins everytime.

The Sony is a good box, but the Netgem definately has a slightly better PQ. Good points on the Sony is the speed of the box, it's very fast changing channels and using text. The Netgem is VERY slow in comparison. Also the Netgem only has now/next and does not support the 7 day guide which the Sony does. If you're a "channel hopper" the Netgem may frustrate you.

Both the Netgem and Sony have optical out and I can't tell the sound apart.

The Panny box has very good PQ, but only analogue sound output and it's terrible!!!! This box is old now and does fine in the kitchen, but that's about all. One good thing with the Panny is the inbuilt RF modulator for distribution around the house (all the other boxes I have only pass through the RF).

Forget about the Mustek box. It's quite well built, but PQ sucks.

Only other Freeview box I've owned is a Pace Twin and that was terrible aswell. PQ was awful (blury) and it missed recordings, locked up, etc, etc. I don't know what newer software updates are like, but I'll never buy a Pace product again after the experience I had.

HTH,

Rob.

6. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    I always read that component output was best suited for DVD as that is how it encoded and RGB scart is best suited for DVB for other techie reasons, like bandwidth.

i.e you wouldn't benefit from component out as much as you would benefit much from using s-video or rgb scart on vhs VCRs, hence why you don't usually see component out on Freeview stbs.

Maybe someone with a abit more knowledge on the subject could shed some light.

7. G-man.au

G-man.au

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have heard good reviews about the Sony so I will get that one. I will feed it into a JS Tech RGB-YUV converter via my amp into my TV.

Any suggestions on who sells then the cheapest? Amazon have them for £80