Freeview box with channel display?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by ajsl, May 4, 2007.

1. ajsl

ajsl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Does anyone have any suggestions for a currently available Freeview box with a built in (as in on the device rather than on screen) channel display? I'd like to hook it up to my amp and use it as a tuner without having to have the TV on (as well as for watching TV of course! :) ).

I'm not interested in any sort of PVR etc, but ideally I'd like something that has good performance with low signal and perhaps even digital audio out?

Does such a beast exist? (I've done a search and couldn't find anything).

Cheers.

2. Rich_Enduro

Rich_Enduro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm using a Topfield 5800 PVR (the best purchase I've made in years). although it doesn't have the channel displayed in the display, the machine is highly customisable and i believe an application can be added to it to make the display show whatever you want. have a look at www.toppy.org.uk for more into (look in the TAPS section)

3. Tone DeFeet

Tone DeFeet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The Wharfedale DV832B from Argos has the display that you're after. It's a simple 4 character red lcd display. Watch out though as they sell 2 types of the same machine under the same name, one is the BN(2) and the other just the plain B model. The BN(2) is the upgraded version. Also it should be noted that some owners (myself included) have experienced sound dips with this machine which seem to coincide with lights being switched on and off around the home. The plus points are it has 2 scarts, phono outs and the picture is very good. HTH

4. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,847
    I was also gonna say the Wharfdale - don't have one myself, but a girl at work does...

I do however have a "Dual" (Asda rebrand) Freeview PVR, which only costs £80, which displays channel number and channel name on the display aswell :)

5. ajsl

ajsl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Excellent. Thanks all. I'll check out the Wharfedale DV832B, any tips on how to identify the "BN(2)" model?

6. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    The Panasonic TUCT41 has full character display (given the space) & by the looks of things the Goodmans GDB5. Might be worth poppping over to www.radioandtelly.co.uk where they list quite a few Freeview boxes.

7. Tone DeFeet

Tone DeFeet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It's quite easy, it clearly says DV832BN(2) on the box although on the actual unit itself it weirdly just says DV832BN.

8. Komodo

Komodo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got the Wharfdale today from argos didnt get a choice which model and only had the DV832B in the catalogue. Got it set up and quite happy with it so far. What does the BN do differently and is it worth taking the B back to argos to exchange it for the BN?

9. Tone DeFeet

Tone DeFeet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    There are reviews for both on the Digital Spy site. If memory serves, fully updated, the BN runs cooler, stabler and has a better menu structure. I had a B and now have a BN, both running the same 2.1 s/w so I'm waiting for the update to be aired before I can reap the benefits.

10. Zed_X

Zed_X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    28 November 2007

I purchased a Wharfedale DV832B today from Argos, their website said DV832B, the Box said DV832B, and inside the box was sitting a DV832BN, the software installed on it was version 1.5, So it doesn't look like Argos are selling the DV832BN model any longer. As for the performance differences between the 2 models, I cant tell of any differences.