1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeview box - Waited for HDD, 2x Tuner, TOP-UP - is this OK ?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by davidwatsonok, May 30, 2005.

1. davidwatsonok

davidwatsonok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I've held off buying a Freeview box until there was one which will provide me with a PVR/HDD with twin tuners and have Top-Up capability. Saw this unit on another website and wondered what you guys think of it ?

http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_26365.html

Are there any other features that I should be looking out for, or any other machines that you would recommend over this with similar features ??

Thanks, David.

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It looks OK on paper. The acid test is how the software performs, and you will only find this out by reading independent reviews, and if this is a new box you won't see many of those yet.

Another point to consider is just how useful the cam slots are going to be, since they are not cheap to add into the design. There are strong rumours circulating about the future financial viablilty of TopUp TV (E4 has already left their line-up), and if the company were to fail, how likely would it be that another pay service would follow in their footsteps ?

3. Supernatural

Supernatural

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
  4. ChrisA

ChrisA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It looks interesteing but the blurb's a bit misleading surely? It can't be possible to "Record two channels and watch two channels all at the same time" with only two tuners unless they're the same two in which case why bother?

C

5. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Can't tell you if the Topfield can do that but it *is possible*. Each tuner grabs a multiplex with several channels on it, in theory you can simultaneously view or record all the channels on each multiplex. Some PVR's can record whole multiplexes.

Decoding them is a bit harder and I'd only seen claims of record 2 + view 1 for the Topfield.

6. davidwatsonok

davidwatsonok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Thanks for the replies and links. It looks a superb machine. Not too sure about all the downloadable fix's, updates and features as I run Apple Mac and they seem to require Windows :censored: Possibly worth waiting a little longer for all the current updates to be built in to the machine at POS, or will the retailer consider doing them prior to shipping :lease: I really just want it to run great from plug-in and not have to do anything else except use the bu99er, otherwise I'll have to bug a PC owning friend to D/L the updates and drag the thing over to their house :thumbsdow or buy an old Windows Lappy :eek: or maybe VPC in OSX :boring:

Anyway, cheers :hiya: