freeview box to replace philips dtr1500

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by rozzar, May 2, 2005.

1. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    the box is giving me a lot of blocking. its about 18 months old now.

what boxes are there on the market that would be an improvement? I would have gone for a Sony D800 instantly but i NEED s-video out through the scart (it goes through a tv tuner card on my pc)

any suggestions?

Thanks

2. sdc395

sdc395
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sony will do s-video from both of its SCART sockets. It can be selected manually for the TV SCART but must negotiate by Smartlink for the video SCART. Which socket are you refering to?

3. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The Sony, you can't buy a better box imo and it does s-video via scart.

4. guylj

guylj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Philips DTR1500 has a very good tuner and very good resistance to impulse interference. Some people say it is much better than the Sony in this respect. So if you are suddenly getting blocking having had good reception previously then while it is of course possible the DTR1500 has developed a subtle fault, I would be inclined to take a look at your signal quality before spending on a new box. You can get a very rough idea of signal levels and quality from the tuning menu but that would only be useful if you knew what your levels were when reception was OK. It's worth checking your aerial is still correctly aligned and all plugs and connectors are fitting tightly. It could even be something like the tree growth we start to get in Spring getting in between your aerial and the transmitter and attenuating the signal.