Freeview box to oldish TV

C

chris brooks

Hi Guys I'm trying to connect a Freeview box to an oldish portable TV that hasn't a scart connection, is there any cable available to connect the box into the aerial socket via a scart cable of some kind or do I need to get a new TV?

SeanT

Distinguished Member
It just has to be a freeview box with an RF output, this is generally the slightly more expensive quality model (but not sure which ones), or pretty much any freeview DVD recorder or twin tuner PVR - always worth spending a bit more anyway, unless the TV is on it's way out.

C

chris brooks

Thanks for replying and excuse my ignorance but how do I connect the box to TV if the TV only has an aerial socket.

SeanT

Distinguished Member
RF output = aerial output - same as you would a video recorder to the same TV, by chaining them together and tuning it in :)

Adrian_F

Hi Guys I'm trying to connect a Freeview box to an oldish portable TV that hasn't a scart connection, is there any cable available to connect the box into the aerial socket via a scart cable of some kind or do I need to get a new TV?

If you have a VCR with Scart connections then you can use this as a modulator to connect to the TV. Firstly connect the VCR to the TV by the aerial cables and make sure it is tuned in to the TV. Secondly connect the Freeview scart to the VCR scart input (usually AV2), then cycle backwards through the channel select on the VCR until you get AV2 showing on the front panel, you should now be able to view Freeview by selecting the TV channel for the VCR.

lostbok

so you have the TV already.... but have you bought (or been given) the freeview box already?

there are some models that will output via RF, but as mentioned below - they're few and far between... and often more expensive.

there are some very compact SCART to RF modulators - look around the classifieds or on eBay to pick up a cheap 2nd hand one... more and more people are getting rid of these.

again - as mentioned below, if you don't mind the space it takes up and if you already ave an old VCR (that takes SCART IN), then this will perform very well as an RF modulator.

all depends on what you have already (Freeview box and/or VCR?) and how compact the solution needs to be...

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom