Freeview box scan failed

22ssingh

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have bought a cheap set top box (manhattan T1) as all I need is channel 4 HD to watch the England cricket.

I have a coax cable running from the satellite dish which is live and works as when plug it directly into my LG OLED tv the free view channels work after scanning (no channel 4 HD on freeview)

Issue I'm having is when I connect the coax cable to the manhattan T1 using an antella adaptor (the manhattan T1 doesn't have a coax input, but a antenna in) it doesn't scan, it comes up scan error and I've tried 3 adapters, they're the small kind which transform the coax to an antenna connection. What am I doing wrong?

If you receive channels when connecting your LG OLED to a satellite dish, then those channels will be the Freesat channels - not Freeview channels.

To receive Freeview channels on the Manhattan PVR, you'll need to connect it to a TV aerial, not a satellite dish.

Even though Channel 4 HD is no longer officially on Freesat, it is still apparently possible to tune in to it manually if your TV allows this.

There's more info here.

Last edited:
If you receive channels when connecting your LG OLED to a satellite dish, then those channels will be the Freesat channels - not Freeview channels.

To receive Freeview channels on the Manhattan PVR, you'll need to connect it to a TV aerial, not a satellite dish.
Sorry what is a tv aerial? Forgive my ignorance, I was born in the streaming era

Even though Channel 4 HD is no longer officially on Freesat, it is still apparently possible to tune in to it manually if your TV allows this.

There's more info here.
Thank you ill check this out

Sorry what is a tv aerial? Forgive my ignorance, I was born in the streaming era
You'll find one on top of nearly every house in the UK...

shutterstock_512232124.jpg

You also need to understand the usage of the words Freeview and Freesat.
Freeview is terrestrial TV in the uk and you need an aerial to receive it (Post #6)
Freesat is an EPG system brought in by a UK consortium to simplify free to air satellite reception. It is ONLY an EPG. It does not transmit programme material.
The two names are NOT interchangeable, as this leads to confusion.

You have bought a Freeview box that you are connecting to a dish. It won;t work.

You can get CH4 HD on FTA satelite, but not on a dedicated Freesat box.
Confused? I'm not surprised.

Freeview is terrestrial TV in the uk and you need an aerial to receive it (Post #6)
Freesat is an EPG system brought in by a UK consortium to simplify free to air satellite reception. It is ONLY an EPG. It does not transmit programme material.

You have bought a Freeview box that you are connecting to a dish. It won;t work.

Thank you for the in depth reply, I now understand!

Do you have a terrestrial TV aerial, either 'on the roof' or in the loft?
What is your location. An indoor aerial might just be good enough.

England 555-8 at stumps in case you missed it

Do you have a terrestrial TV aerial, either 'on the roof' or in the loft?
What is your location. An indoor aerial might just be good enough.

England 555-8 at stumps in case you missed it
I've just had a look and there's 3 on the roof 😳 but on 1 seems to have a wire coming out of it and it looks shot

Also I'm In Rochester in Kent

Attachments

• 20210206_114655.jpg
    20210206_114655.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 128
Update:

So I cut the messed up antenna wire end and fitted a new coax connector to it, used a wire extension to make the wire longer so it reaches inside, and now finally it works on the manhattan T1

Also I tried manually tuning channel 4 HD directly on my LG TV like Mikej mentioned on freesat and it also worked! Happy days, thank you everyone

Now I can enjoy the cricket in HD, without the horrible streaming app!

Not true, Freesat boxes are mandated to be able to view Free To Air Content. There is no requirement to be able to record the content. Channel 4-HD remains free to air so can be viewed,,

Some boxes like the Foxsat-HDR can record FTA channels by pressing the record button to start a recording. The Custom firmware adds the capability to set manual recording timers.

Channel 4-HD is transmitted on every terrestrial transmitter in the UK. So anyone with Freeview-HD kit and an aerial can view it and also record it provided the kit has recording capability.

Most smart TV's can record to a attached usb device so a smart Freeview-HD TV should be able to record.

Just what was not true GLT.
Bear in mind that I was specifically talking about Freeview and Freesat names NOT Freesat/Freeview boxes. I also never mentioned anything about recording and the unavailability of CH4 HD on Freesat (but available on FTA sat systems.)
What I was actually doing/saying was to point out the difference in meaning between the words Freesat and Freeview for the benefit of the OP who apparently didn't appreciate the difference between sat and terrestrial broadcasts, let alone the various Trade names given to the broadcast 'systems'.
I deliberately didn't mention FTA sat or non Freesat mode on Freesat boxes as the OP doesn't have a Freesat box, he has a Freeview box, to which he was connecting a dish and wondering why it didn't work.

Not only that, the Manhattan T1 is not a recorder, and the |OP did not mention recording, just the ability to watch C4HD for the cricket.

In my opinion, he has bought a box that will allow this, as long as he has access to a terrestrial aerial.

Update:

So I cut the messed up antenna wire end and fitted a new coax connector to it, used a wire extension to make the wire longer so it reaches inside, and now finally it works on the manhattan T1

Also I tried manually tuning channel 4 HD directly on my LG TV like Mikej mentioned on freesat and it also worked! Happy days, thank you everyone

Now I can enjoy the cricket in HD, without the horrible streaming app!

Good to hear you're sorted and have got both options covered.

Ideally you would want to replace the whole length of coax from the aerial with a single length if possible but if this isn't convenient or you want to avoid the cost of getting someone else to do it, then at least make sure your external coax connection is waterproof and the cable/joint is secured with coax clips. Water has a nasty habit of getting into older, hollow-core coax and can work it's way down the inside of the cable and into internal equipment - I've seen this happen !

Good to hear you're sorted and have got both options covered.

Ideally you would want to replace the whole length of coax from the aerial with a single length if possible but if this isn't convenient or you want to avoid the cost of getting someone else to do it, then at least make sure your external coax connection is waterproof and the cable/joint is secured with coax clips. Water has a nasty habit of getting into older, hollow-core coax and can work it's way down the inside of the cable and into internal equipment - I've seen this happen !
The joint is fitted with the proper coax extender that I found in the shed, and the joint is actually inside the house so wont get wet (I had to extend it as it didnt reach the tv but did reach inside)

I may remove this after the cricket as its the only reason I wanted channel 4 HD

For most its a blessing that its been shown on free to air tv, but for me it means my Sky sports (now tv) and BT sports subscriptions are useless

Plug the aerial into the TV and return the Freeview box would seem to be an option now.

Plug the aerial into the TV and return the Freeview box would seem to be an option now.
I was just thinking this! It would save me £35 and amazon are good with returns, what a result.

I've always had great help on this site, great people on here!

Does your username give a clue as to which team you support?:rotfl:

Ah ha. A fence sitter eh. :rotfl: Got to try to please both mum and dad I recon.:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom