Freeview box not showing right format

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by THOWD FELLA, Mar 27, 2004.

1. THOWD FELLA

THOWD FELLA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When watching, for instance Liverpool v Marseille this week, the picture on the teli was in 4.3, but when I went back to terrestrial it was in wide screen. Why? Also, when on the pioneer freeview and I change it from 4.3 to widescreen, when the adverts come on it stays in wide but when it goes back to the football - back to 4.3. This means recordings of the whole match cannot be set in widescreen - only til the first adverts come on. The pioneer is set for widescreen. This can't be right can it?

2. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    If the broadcast is only 4:3 in the first place, then you'll only see the program in 4:3, even if your box is set for widescreen. YOur box appears to be working right if it's switching to widescreen for the adverts, as most advets on, say, ITV are in widescreen while the programmes (such as Formula 1) aren't..

3. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Most foreign broadcasts (especially European sports) are still in 4:3 :rolleyes:

The U.S. are starting to catch up in recent years, but you'll find that we (the UK) lead the way in 16:9 programme making but are still light years behind when it comes to HDTV :(

4. THOWD FELLA

THOWD FELLA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies, but I dont understand as I said in the original, why, if I go to terrestrial its in widescreen - switch back to freeview and its in 4.3 for the same program

5. supersonic87

supersonic87
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    On terrestrial you are just seeing a stretched 4:3 image (only pal+ broadcasted analouge terrestrial widescreen, and this stoped in the late 90's), while on freeview ITV send a 4:3 image in 16:9 frame so you either see black borders, or the champions league logo (No chance in hell for liverpool then :D )

Rich

6. THOWD FELLA

THOWD FELLA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Supersonic, and you'r right about Liverpool!