Quantcast

freeview box advice

speedtapeking

Standard Member
new to free view, but looking to ditch sky. i have sky plus hd box in the bedroom, one output to the kitchen tv one to the bedroom. I'm looking for a cheap freest box for the kitchen, i will have one satellite aerial cable only to it. are there any freesat recorder boxes that will let me record one channel whilst recording another, or record two at once with only one satellite aerial input ? theres some cheap ones on amazon around 40 quid don't know if they will do what I'm after...
also, do any of the boxes that would do the above have built in player etc ?

or, would i just be better with an amazon fire tv stick and a cheap freesat box ?

Last edited:

Fred Smith

new to free view, but looking to ditch sky. i have sky plus hd box in the bedroom, one output to the kitchen tv one to the bedroom. I'm looking for a cheap freest box for the kitchen, i will have one satellite aerial cable only to it. are there any freesat recorder boxes that will let me record one channel whilst recording another, or record two at once with only one satellite aerial input ? theres some cheap ones on amazon around 40 quid don't know if they will do what I'm after...
also, do any of the boxes that would do the above have built in player etc ?
Your title is:

"freeview box advice"

But you talk about Freeview and Freesat. Which is it you want?

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Humax twin tuner Freesat+ boxes wil record two and watch a third using a single cable. The G2 boxes have a automatic internal link to feed the second tuner There is of course some restrictions on 2nd channel recording. For most channels a bit less than 50% of the total channel count is available for the second recording. The box won't let you make impossible recording combinations.

Rodders53

Are you sure the feeds to kitchen and bedroom are satellite from the (quad) lnb on the dish? If 'yes' then graham's post #3 applies...

However, many Sky installs used to route the UHF terrestrial TV aerial through the lounge box RF in and feed on to other sets in the home via the RF2 out socket... THAT type won't work for freesat but will for Freeview. The type of plug/socket on the end of the cable is usually a give-away (F-plug screw = sat, Belling Lee TV plug = UHF terrestrial).

BEWARE of many cheaper boxes out there labelled <freesat> that are not compliant with the spec and do not have the proper EPG or logical channel numbering (albeit some can have 'apps' installed to emulate the system with epg updated over the internet if you are tech savvy). AFAIK only Humax now offer freeview STBs/PVRs Freesat - Get Freesat - buy a Freesat box or HD TV online
NB Cheaper boxes also require the addition of a usb hard disk, at not inconsiderable extra cost, to work as a PVR.

If you have a UHF TV aerial fed to the other rooms then it's a different answer and this thread is then in the correct sub-forum ;)

Top Bottom