Freeview/Blu Ray/PVR/Smart TV

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by davej311, Dec 27, 2011.

Tags:
  1. davej311

davej311
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've currently got an old CRT TV on Virginmedia with Tivo recorder. I'd like to cancel & go to freeview but would like to still get iplayer & youtube plus all the functions that the PVR brings. However, there seems to be a bewildering array of devices & different combinations. What's my best option, i.e. minimum number of separate boxes for a reasonable price?

Unless there's a Blu ray/PVR/Smart TV device that'll work with my old CRT, I'm thinking Smart TV plus blue ray/PVR box perhaps??

Hmmm..

2. takisawa

takisawa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. Had the same set-up as you. VM box & CRT TV. Just bought a Samsung D5520 TV, & the Samsung Wi-Fi dongle. Works great. Smart TV has iPlayer & You-Tube. We don't have a recorder of any sort, but will now cancel VM subscription. (The VM box hasn't been switched on since I put the new TV in). HD channels look great. Also plays music & films on the PC. Very happy with this set up.

3. davej311

davej311
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I'd come to the same conclusion myself really i.e. Smart TV, & funnily enough I went down to Currys yesterday to get the same TV as you but they'd sold out! So you're happy with it? It has good reviews on Amazon. I might check out the Panasonic, apparently I can add a memory stick or USB hard drive & do the pause of live TV. I quite like that feature on the Tivo