Freeview/Blu Ray/PVR/Smart TV

davej311

Standard Member
I've currently got an old CRT TV on Virginmedia with Tivo recorder. I'd like to cancel & go to freeview but would like to still get iplayer & youtube plus all the functions that the PVR brings. However, there seems to be a bewildering array of devices & different combinations. What's my best option, i.e. minimum number of separate boxes for a reasonable price?

Unless there's a Blu ray/PVR/Smart TV device that'll work with my old CRT, I'm thinking Smart TV plus blue ray/PVR box perhaps??

Hmmm..

takisawa

Standard Member
Hi. Had the same set-up as you. VM box & CRT TV. Just bought a Samsung D5520 TV, & the Samsung Wi-Fi dongle. Works great. Smart TV has iPlayer & You-Tube. We don't have a recorder of any sort, but will now cancel VM subscription. (The VM box hasn't been switched on since I put the new TV in). HD channels look great. Also plays music & films on the PC. Very happy with this set up.

davej311

Standard Member
Thanks, I'd come to the same conclusion myself really i.e. Smart TV, & funnily enough I went down to Currys yesterday to get the same TV as you but they'd sold out! So you're happy with it? It has good reviews on Amazon. I might check out the Panasonic, apparently I can add a memory stick or USB hard drive & do the pause of live TV. I quite like that feature on the Tivo

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX 4K OLED TV Review: The best TV of 2020?
Top Bottom