Freeview better than SKY...

mo786

Novice Member
Hi

I got a new LCD (SONY D3000 32") the other week and to go with it I got a SKY HD box and a HTPC with a PCI Freeview card.

I have set the TV up to the right colours and stuff. I have found FREEVIEW on the HTPC is very nice but on SKY its not as good.

How can I get the best out of the SKY box? Its actually a HD box but its the SD channels as well (HD is very nice)

An example is Match of the Day - on freeview the picture is very crisp and clear whereas on sky its not as crisp and there is a little more pixellation (but watchable)

the difference is fairly small - the freeview colours just seem depper and more realistic....

i thought sky was meant to be better than freeview.. ?

Starburst

Novice Member
There is no reason SKY (or satellite) is better than Freeview (or DTT) in technical terms. The main reason PQ changes between platforms is that broadcasts are free to choose the resolution and bitrate of their digital channels and it seems that Freeview is given preferential treatment by the BBC, ITV and CH4 with only Five being better on satellite.

What setting do you use for the SD channel output on the HD box?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom