1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeview and vhs

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Keithhampson, Sep 11, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Keithhampson

Keithhampson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi, I have freeview and wish to buy a hitachi vcr, what I would like to know is will this record in widescreen ok, 16:9 off my freeview, my signal output is set at widescreen. my dvd player has a option in the menu where I can select 4:3 or 16:9, is this the same on vcr's?.
    just would like to know before I plash out my money.

Thanks Keith

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,983
    It will record whatever the set top box throws at it, without changing it (except for the inevitable slight degrade that you get from VHS). There's nothing special or clever about 16x9 video signals; they have exactly the same structure as 4x3 signals so the VCR will have no difficulty.

What a VCR is unlikely to do, is - on playback of a recorded tape - to tell a TV to switch itself to widescreen mode. VCRs as an old technology don't understand the difference in TV shapes that are now available. So to playback such a tape correctly, it may be necessary to set the TV aspect ratio manually on the TV.

Then again, it may not be necessary. It is possible that something that's known as the Line 23 widescreen flag, will find its way out of your set top box, onto the tape, and then off the tape and into the TV which may understand it and react to it by switching itself.

You can only find out for sure by trying it. The point is, the worst that can happen is that you'll need to manually configure the TV to correctly watch such a tape.

Having said all that - are you sure that you want to go against the tide here, and invest in VHS - at a time when one major chain has indicated they will no longer sell hardware, and another has just announced it is to stop selling software?

3. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    VHS is still a viable technology due to its cost and its still available in most peoples homes- however its disadvantages and the upcoming mass of cheapish freeview hdd recorders and dvd recorders mean that if you have got the cash these are a much better option.

There are a lot of 'obsolete' technologies that may be suited to a particular persons needs. Just because it is not officially supported and/or may be hard to obtain replacements for does not mean that it is not useful for a few years more.

I would be very happy to get an old McLaren F1 or a re-conditioned 60s Jaguar, or a Pre-CBS 60s Fender Stratocaster.

4. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

You might want to consider getting a s-vhs machine as you'll get a better quality recording from it. You should be able to pick one up for around (or under) £100.

However, check to see if your Freeview box will output an s-video signal to the vcr.

Brian

5. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I think a PVR or a Freeview equipped DVD recorder would be a good bet

Not everyone has access to Vhs.

Lad at work has a DVD player but no form of recording

6. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I think Vhs is a dead end and that a PVR in this case is a better solution, recording off a Freeview box is quite awkwards and requires two lots of timer settings (and remembering to set the VCR to line in), I had to do this with an old Nokia Ondodgy box I had on loan pre CAM and it was clunky, the 20 year old Sanyo did some good recording though

7. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Of course a Freeview recorder or a PVR is better.
    I was just pointing out that VHS is pretty damn cheap. I don't disagree that it's a dead end. But I think it will be still useful for ultra-low budgets for a few more years yet.

8. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    It can also be very easy if both the VCR and STB support ext link programming, works with my iPlayer and both my SVHS decks and my fathers Sony STB and VHS deck.

9. Nick Odgers

Nick Odgers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have just bought a JVC HR-S5975 video recorder for £80 to replace an old Panasonic one that had started making an annoying squeaking noise. It has S-VHS and will switch itself on when it picks up a signal from Sony freeview receiver, and switch itself off again when freeview receiver goes off, so you only have to programme Sony. O K it is not a patch on SKY + box quality with RGB but sometimes my Sky + drive gets full and it is a substitute.

10. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Has a look - none of my VCRs even have Scart in!