Freeview And Sky Questions For Upstairs TV?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by wokeye, Feb 3, 2009.

1. wokeye

wokeye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    I am awaiting delivery of a Samsung 32" lcd for use in the bedroom. I have one other TV downstairs with a Sky HD box. I have no intention of getting multi-room Sky although it would be handy to have another Sky + box as I detest watching adverts, and prefer to watch recorded TV. So what I would like to do is pipe the signal from the Sky HD box via the RF2 out, I guess I won't be able to watch HD through that but I ain't bothered, and get a TV link to enable me to use the Sky HD box remote upstairs.

This leads me to my other question do you just tune in the Sky signal via the RF2 out to the analogue tuner on the TV pretty much like you used to do with an old VCR?

If I connect the RF lead from the Sky box downstairs to the RF in on the TV how will I be able to watch the in-built freeview tuner on the TV. Will I have to buy some kind of signal splitter to allow 2 RF connections be connected to the TV at once. Or is an external freeview box with scart or hdmi out an easier alternative?

Alternatively I have another spare Sky digi box, so I could use this for the upstairs TV for free to air channels instead instead of freeview. I know I will already have the signal from the downstairs Sky HD box, but sometimes we will want to watch different things on the TV's so another signal source is required. The problem I see with having another Sky digi-box is that when I use the remote to change the channel, will it not send a signal via the TV link and change the Sky HD box channel downstairs when I do not want it to?

Sorry for the dumb questions but I am not that clued up, although I am sure that there are simple solutions that I am not yet aware of.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    All you need to do is feed aerial into sky HD box aerial input, then RF1 to local TV and RF2 to remote TV sky will be tuned in with the analogue channels on the remote tv

3. wokeye

wokeye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Cheers mate, thanks I did not realise it was that simple. The only problem that gives me is that I will have difficulty running a cable from the RF2 on the Sky HD box on the main TV to the bedroom TV. The thing is I already have only one coax cable running down buried in the wall somewhere from the aerial in the loft to the TV downstairs. I was going to use this single coax to connect to the RF2 on the Sky HD box, remove it from the aerial and connect to the RF in on the TV upstairs. It is very easy to run new cable upstairs, not so much downstairs. Then just run another cable from the aerial in the loft to the bedroom TV. I am not bothered about freeview for the main TV just use Sky, so not having the signal down there does not bother me. The way you mention is much simpler but would involve me running another cable up the outside of the house to the bedroom, a little unsightly. I should probably just do this :confused:

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    You casn run sky RF up to loft feed it into a DC passback combiner where it is combined with Aerail then out to the second screen you loose freevie downsatirs but if that is no bother then do it that way. MAplins sell the bits you would need

5. wokeye

wokeye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Cheers mate, great advice will save a lot of hassle :smashin: