freeview and scaler compared to HTPC

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by pacemaker, Aug 28, 2006.

1. pacemaker

pacemaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    i would be very interested if anyone has compared this
    i presently own a HTPC running MCE with a black gold tuner and must say picture is really good, when it works!
    and thats the problem , i love the features of the pc for recording, tv guide is far superior to stb, even storing films etc , but am getting extremely p...ed off with jerky and unreliable playback
    have owned a iscan before and was impressed but went down the pc route this time and 4 months on still finding i have to revert to my old dvd player through component as i cant get the pc to run correctly

2. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Well I guess this is the age-old PC problem.
    When they're good they're good. When they're bad they're a PITA.

I'd be surprised if the problems couldn't be ironed out on your PC as so many people use this combo with good results.

However, IMO the most modern VPs WILL give better results as long as the freeview box is a good one (ideally with 576i HDMI output) and the VP known to be good with video-based material.
    See Crystalio I/II and DVDO VP20/30/50 for starters.

BUT you will be giving up a whole host of features currently found on your PC.
    And, the difference is picture quality is going to be smallish.

Have you sought proper advice on your MCE setup on the Entertainment PC section of the site? I would definitely go that route first as even a major component swap would be far far cheaper than a new VP.

3. pacemaker

pacemaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    thanks and yes i have spent weeks researching the problem on htpc forums to no avail, think it must be a hardware conflict issue
    i am in pal land so only stb will have svideo out at best

4. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    RGB will be better than S-Video if available (usually is over scart).

If it is a hardware conflict, it might only be a cheap component that's causing the issue, but I guess if you've spent weeks going over everything, it's already become too much of a pain. My soudcard was at fault (causing juddery video playback) early on in my build so I swapped it for an M-Audio Audiophile.

Thankfully with my HTPC I reached a level that was acceptable within a month and just left everything as it was for 3 years. But I know if I wanted to upgrade, I'd be facing a world of pain. I shall be going with a VP this time.

5. pacemaker

pacemaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    still too early to tell nut think may have narrowes pc problems down to nforce ide drivers