freeview and ntl

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by sted, Jan 21, 2004.

1. sted

sted
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Ok, here's one for you clever people. I have NTL digital, but have just bought a new tv which has a digital tuner in it. Ideally, i'd activate this as well so i can record a freeview digital channel whilst watching ntl.
    Now, i live in a block of flats and it doesn't look like the block aerial is equipt for digital (the tv doesn't seem to be recognising anything digital). So, my question is, can i put NTL's analogue signal (passthrough) into my tv so that i can use the digital tuner? Where does ntl's analogue signal come from? I presume it's not the block aerial, hence my idea. Or is this completely stupid?
    If, as i suspect, it is stupid, is there a good internal aerial i can buy? Or, if i need to lobby for our block aerial to be upgraded, what do i point them towards?

Cheers
    Ed

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    You can feed a standard NTL analogue cable output into the TV but NTL do not carry the terrestrial digital channels on it's cable network so all you can use is the TV's analogue tuner to get the five traditional channels, depending upon it's tuner you might get a few more unencrypted analogue channels.

Quite a few people have reported success with a cheapish indoor wideband aerial from the likes of Argos or the local DIY superstore.