Freeview and HS2

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Tee Tee, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Tee Tee

Tee Tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all,

Not sure if I've posted this in the right forum. Mods, please feel free to move.

I'd welcome any advice on the following please.

I have a Panny HS2 connected via RGB to a Telewest cable box, but am seriously considering getting rid of cable and going for Freeview. Can anyone tell me if the EPG will 'control' the HS2 for recordings, i.e wake up at the correct time, set to the correct channel and start the HS2 recording? If so, what make and model Freeview box do you recommend?

Many thanks

2. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    NO.

3. Tee Tee

Tee Tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Short & to the point!

4. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Short and to the point maybe, but not the correct answer. Some freeview boxes support synchro-record or smartlink and some have the ability to set record events from the EPG.

I have tried the Philips box, which supports s-video from the VCR scart and has a feature called "easyrecord". With this box, you can set events from the EPG and, with my E50 at least, it will wake up the recorder when the event occurs. The only drawback with this box is that Philips have stated that they wont support the new freeview 7-day EPG when it is broadcast next year (current only a now and next EPG).

Other boxes which support s-video from the vcr scart are the Pioneer and Sony. With both of these you can set record events from the EPG; however, I have no confirmation as to whether they will control the recorder correctly. The Sony has Smartlink which is supposed to be compatible with Q-link as well as syncro-record (pin8) control. I have read a report on the digitalspy forums that the Pioneer does start and stop a VCR correctly, but don't take my word about it. Both of these boxes should support the new 7-day EPG when it arrives.

There are other boxes which also have synchro-record but they only offer composite from the VCR scart. No currect freeview boxes offer RGB from the VCR scart.

5. Tee Tee

Tee Tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thank you very much for that informative reply bobones. Given me some useful pointers there.

Cheers

Alwyn, if you're going to post, get your facts straight!