• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Freeview and Homeplugs adaptors

spookfish

Standard Member
Hello
I have a Sony Bravia KDL-26P3020 it only has a VGA pc connection (no USB or ethernet). I have Freeview but would like to be able to watch BBCiplayer on my TV. Could I use a homeplug adaptors to connect my TalkTalk wireless router direct to my TV? Or do I have to connect the home plug adaptors to my laptop and then to the TV? Very confused! Please help! :)

Thank you.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
You need to connect the laptop to the TV, presumably the laptop is already networked. This means you need a compatible connection on the laptop to connect to the TV. Does the laptop have an external monitor vga port. ?

m0t0k0

if you post the model number of the laptop we can tell you the best way to connect it to your TV.

It is certainly going to have VGA which your TV supports but that only carrys video so you will still need to get the sound from your Laptop to TV.

If you laptop supports hdmi it will be very easy to do as it carries both audio and video

winston2010

Whatever you do never use homeplug adapters. They cause serious radio interference to other users.
The best way is to use a proper ethernet cable, and much cheaper as well.

spookfish

Standard Member
Sounds like a need a new TV then because my laptop is shot. I'm hoping to get a new one soon. But my old one won't play anything that requires flashplayer. Thanks anyway.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Whatever you do never use homeplug adapters. They cause serious radio interference to other users.

Spamming again I see :eek:

Thoroughly discredited in other places, you have to find somewhere else don't you. If only we could link to your other posts.

Best advice ignore :D

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Last edited:

m0t0k0

What is this guy on about I used these in the past which were supplied with my BT Vision and they work really well. Not as good as Ethernet cable of course but way better than wifi

If you getting a new TV why not look for one which has internet TV services built in like the samsung smart TVs

lbear

Sounds like a need a new TV then because my laptop is shot. I'm hoping to get a new one soon. But my old one won't play anything that requires flashplayer. Thanks anyway.

No need for a new TV - many new laptops have HDMI sockets so you can connect that a lot easier than using VGA and an audio lead. If you are already using all the HDMI inputs on your TV, multiway adapters go from about a tenner.

m0t0k0

I never said they didn't work. They do. But they cause interference to other users of the radio spectrum which is unsociable.

How can this be the case they don't intentionally emit any RF at all. The data is sent over the ring main.
If you had one that was then it must have been broken

winston2010

Neither do most right minded people. I see a fellow Radio Ham totally disagrees with your point of view.7

Interesting that Humax propogate your so called electronic filth.

http://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/prodCat.asp?cat=access&type=networking

Fellow radio ham? Do I take it then that you are a radio ham because I'm not.
I have never stated a point of view. I have stated known proven facts. A simple search on those other forums you mention will show all the proof, even some youtube videos. Any way you know this, you just want to stick your head in the sand and deny it.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
How can this be the case they don't intentionally emit any RF at all. The data is sent over the ring main.
If you had one that was then it must have been broken

To be fair the mains cables act as transmitting antenna. Properly designed ones have notch filtering to eliminate rf radiation in the VHF bands.

What he doesn't say is that a fellow Radio Ham uses them as WiFi and direct cabling isn't practical without any problems. Both my immediate neighbours use them with zero effect on any kit I have including DAB. Wifi routers produce many more problems. Basically he's just dead selfish and makes up ridicolous scare stories but never posts any actual evidence of real problems using properly designed homeplugs. Best to just ignore him :D

Quote from a different place

I've clashed with Graham in the past but I have to agree with him here. I use Homeplugs myself and I am a Licensed Radio Amateur. Hams are the only ones likely to be interfered with by Homeplugs and all the decent ones are "notched" to remove radiation in the Ham bands. This is except the ones supplied by BT. I forget the brand (sorry I'm older still at 75 ) so don't use those. I know that there has been a lot of who-ha in Radcom and RAOTA but I find Homeplugs as nothing compared with Wi-Fi / DECT 'phones / TV senders / microwave ovens!

Last edited:

winston2010

To be fair the mains cables act as transmitting antenna. Properly designed ones have notch filtering to eliminate rf radiation in the VHF bands.

This is exactly it. Mains cables are not designed for this purpose and radiate at these frequencies. Homeplugs do have notch filters in the amature bands but they radiate over lots of other HF frequencies that are actually far more important than amatures.

The latest wideband versions, far from having notch filters in the VHF bands, extend their range well into the VHF bands and have been shown to blot out nearby DAB receivers. Will post a link when I have time to find it.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
This is exactly it. Mains cables are not designed for this purpose and radiate at these frequencies. Homeplugs do have notch filters in the amature bands but they radiate over lots of other HF frequencies that are actually far more important than amatures.

The latest wideband versions, far from having notch filters in the VHF bands, extend their range well into the VHF bands and have been shown to blot out nearby DAB receivers. Will post a link when I have time to find it.

For every post you can find with problems with DAB reception You can find dozens of problems with problems with WiFi routers, round here it's hard to find a clear channel. I use a DAB radio with only it's built in aerial. One neighbour has the high speed AV type. Absolutely no problems. In any case a decent external DAB antenna should sort out any problems.

winston2010

Wi-Fi radiates on one channel out of a selection of 11 (I think) at 2.4GHz. I'm not aware of them causing interference outside this frequency range.

Most DAB portables don't have the facility to connect an external antenna.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Wi-Fi radiates on one channel out of a selection of 11 (I think) at 2.4GHz. I'm not aware of them causing interference outside this frequency range.

Most DAB portables don't have the facility to connect an external antenna.

Try sticking a BT Homehub (N type) next to a satellite box :D.

There are hundreds of thousands of Homeplugs in use in the UK. Best you can do is may be find a handfull of problems, that ought to tell you something.

Simple question have you ever experienced any problems personally from these devices ?. If so lets have details or is it just some sort of wierd personal campaign from one poster with a bee in his bonnet :D

In any case DAB is pretty crap, the bitrate is too low for decent sound, satellite, freeview and internet radio offers a lot better audio quality.

winston2010

Simple question have you ever experienced any problems personally from these devices ?. If so lets have details or is it just some sort of wierd personal campaign from one poster with a bee in his bonnet :D

In any case DAB is pretty crap, the bitrate is too low for decent sound, satellite, freeview and internet radio offers a lot better audio quality.

Yes, I had a problem a while back on SW reception. Traced to a neighbours homeplugs 2 doors away. Once I had demonstrated it on a portable radio it was quickly solved amicabily with a CAT5 cabling solution and the homeplugs went back to the shop as not fit for purpose.
Not had a problem with FM or DAB but the wideband type are not very common yet.

The technical quality of DAB is not really relavent to this discussion. :)

Here is an interesting BBC document on the subject

http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/publications/whitepaper195.shtml

The latest video from AVForums

JVC 4K projectors, Denon X3800 & Perlisten speaker reviews, adding a sub to 2-channel + AV/HiFi news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom