Freeview and E50 Recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nwgarratt, Dec 19, 2003.

1. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,871
    At the moment I have -

Sony DVD Player -- Panasonic TUCT30 Freeview -- DVD Recorder (AV2 in).

The Freeview/DVD recorder works fine but I was wondering if I could plug the Freeview box into my Sony DVD player and then into AV2 of the Recorder. Is there any problems like bad lip sync when the freeview signal has go to through the DVD player first?

I think the RGB in on the TUCT30 is a bit dodgy. I keep getting funny colours on the TV from the DVD player.

2. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Shouldn't make any difference as the dvd player is just passing through the RGB signal with no processing.

The main problem with your setup is that you can't watch the dvd player while you're recording. If you don't have any spare scart sockets on your tv to connect the dvd player directly, you could do worse than use an Argos manual RGB scart switch for a tenner.

Don't know about the funny colours though. I assume the freeview box is in standby while you're using the dvd player?

3. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,871
    The freeview has to be in standby to feed the RGB through it.

You are right, I can't use the Sony to play a DVD while recording. I also have a Cyberhome DVD player which was also daisy chained by RGB. But, I have now connected it to the TV by S Video. I can now watch a DVD while recording. I prefer RGB but the S Video connection does give that extra bonus.

I ordered a very nice looking scart switchbox from Play but they are out of stock. I might not need it if moving cables about works ok.

Update

The box is processing at Play. I will switch from s video to RGB when I get it for xmas.

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=GADG&title=142733