Freeview, and buying a CAM for Top-up tv

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by schalkley, Jan 11, 2005.

1. schalkley

schalkley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just before Christmas I bought a Sony freeview box VTX-D800 and we are very happy with it. The picture quality is good and the menus are clear.

But now we get the service we see you can get top-up tv which would give us channels we would like to see, for 8 pounds a month approx, but the Sony box does not have a slot for a card. Hmmm.

I have read this board and seen that we have the option of buying a CAM (Conditional Access Module) for approx 40 pounds.

a) what physical form do these take and where would it be placed? In the co-ax between the ariel and the freeview box?

b) I presume the CAM would have a slot to insert the top up tv card.

c) Where can I buy a CAM, and are there any reviews around?

d) I have seen some (old-ish) threads saying that top upt tv will not last. Any news on this?

Any help appreciated :)

Thanks,
    Stephen

2. tradesman

tradesman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi stephen I have the old ondig boxes and they have the card slot that works very well with the TUTV card not sure about your box some boxes have a built in cam slot others dont take a look here more info you may find out what your looking for
    http://www.topup.tv/

ps take a look at the top tips section in there you will find compatible boxes it seems that most sonys have the requisite cam slot
    regards jack

3. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    schalkley,

You will need to buy a new STB, either an 'old' On Digital look on Ebay or a new one see the list on the site suggested by tradesman. Note you can buy a new STB with a built in CAM for around £80, then all you need is a Top Up TV subscription and card

Regarding how long Top Up TV will last who knows, they have been around now for over one year but unlike On Digital are not subsidising the boxes so in theory they should be making money and not loosing it. Even if they go belly up your new box will still work for Freeview, so you won't loose everything just the subscription channels, but that's if!

If you look closely it’s Sony IDTV’s which have a suitable slot, there are no suitable Sony STB's listed further down in the STB section.

4. tradesman

tradesman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry about that only took a glimpse

regards jack