Freeview and audio question

I

Icarus

Hi all,

This may sound a stupid question but is freeview through the Nokia 221T via it's digital audio out, capable of receiving Dolby 5.1, and or other surround modes?

I have this just plugged it into my Arcam AVR200 and am unable to tell yet :confused:

NX3

Its capable as is my Pioneer freeview box. However its very unlikely freeview will broadcard 5.1 digital sound etc....they just don't have the bandwidth for it.

lynx

Youll be limited to Dolby Pro Logic at best i'm afraid.If you want 5.1 off air then you will have to look at Sky+ and even then it is only supported on some movies.

cerebros

Freeview doesn't do Dolby Digital 5.1 (and I doubt any channels would spare the extra bitrate for it even if it did) so chances are we'll never know. The Nokia 221T is one of a number of DTT boxes that claim to be 5.1 cable from their digital outputs - might as well say they can do DTS, SACD & MLP for all the opportunity we'd get to prove they were lying...

I

Icarus

Thanks to all for the answers, so it's down to bandwidth then. Oh well, at least I know now.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom